Thread: Brown Rice Protein Powder (Sun Warrior) page

flutterlilly is offline Junior Member

Red face Brown Rice Protein Powder (Sun Warrior)

Just wondering what everyone's view or opinion on the use of Brown Rice protein powder as an alternative protein source on Paleo. I avoid eggs due to AI conditions so I prefer something "carb like" in the mornings and this is perfect. I also avoid Whey protein because I avoid all dairy.

Any opinions or suggestions ?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried Sun Warrior yet, but I have used another variety made from sprouted brown rice. It works just as well as whey and egg white protein without the detriments of either. It digests perfectly, too.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, if it's not a food you could make in your own kitchen, it's not real food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I do agree with that, but protein powders CAN have a place in muscle recovery, and can make a decent in lieu of actual food. So, when choosing one, it's best to choose one that's easily utilized by your body. Unfortunately, most whey is ultra-processed in all the wrong ways, and egg white protein, as mentioned by the OP, is not always an option.

Protein powders are NOT food and should not be treated like such, but they can be great supplements to a diet that is already rich in the right nutrients.

flutterlilly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I do agree with that, but protein powders CAN have a place in muscle recovery, and can make a decent in lieu of actual food. So, when choosing one, it's best to choose one that's easily utilized by your body. Unfortunately, most whey is ultra-processed in all the wrong ways, and egg white protein, as mentioned by the OP, is not always an option.

Protein powders are NOT food and should not be treated like such, but they can be great supplements to a diet that is already rich in the right nutrients.
    Thanks Tarek, This is actually the only food source that I eat that is a packaged food. I cook absolutely everything I eat and don't even eat out at restaurants because I have to keep a close tab on the ingredients - not just because I don't trust restaurants but because I have severe allergies and auto-immune conditions. So my diet is so limited by ways of what I can eat. I avoid red meat, pork, eggs and dairy and all starches as grains and also fruit is just as bad as grains for me, so breakfast is the hardest to figure out what to make. This is also the only "grain" that I am eating which is why I'm wondering if it could pose any issues based on grains aggravating auto-immune diseases even though it's sprouted and the protein is extracted I doubt it would cause any issues but curious to know what others think.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterlilly View Post
    Just wondering what everyone's view or opinion on the use of Brown Rice protein powder as an alternative protein source on Paleo. I avoid eggs due to AI conditions so I prefer something "carb like" in the mornings and this is perfect. I also avoid Whey protein because I avoid all dairy.

Any opinions or suggestions ?
    I can't remotely imagine mistaking that shit for food. No offense.

DoinicDenson is offline Junior Member
    I haven't tried Sun Warrior yet

Sundoggy is offline Junior Member
    Hi Flutterlilly,

I don't have an answer but want you to know I've considered the same question. I am battling a severe autoimmune condition and trying a very restrictive primal/AI diet and get really desperate for stuff to eat!

I've decided not to include rice protein just in case. If it disrupts the experiment to see if my AI condition responds to diet restrictions, then it's just not worth it, for me.

Some things I'm finding for breakfast: salmon (I never ate fish in the morning!) & chicken sausage. However, I am also eating pork and red meat (pastured, grass-fed, etc.), unlike you, so that makes bfast easier.

BTW, so far, I haven't found any relation with food and my AI condition -- I've done 2 months of no grains, no sugar, and an additional 3 weeks of no grains, no sugar, no eggs, no nuts, no nightshade veggies, no dairy, no legumes. I'm still having some of the worst pain ever and have only lost a measly six pounds (probably because I'm on prednisone). But I'm committed to trying the primal/AI protocol for several months at least. Also doing everything for leaky gut, even though I have no idea whether I have it or not (probiotics, bone broths, L-glutamine, and more).

Also, I'm finding cultured coconut foods really good -- coconut kefir and yogurt, though in small amounts because of the carb content.

Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss any aspect of this -- I could really some support and encouragement, and would love to hear whether these dietary changes are helping your AI.

BEK
    BEK is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From what I understand about plants and seeds...once a seed is sprouted it is now a plant, not a seed, i.e. grain. It appears most others have a different opinion, but I would like scientific evidence (research) posted, not feelings and opinions: "I can't remotely imagine mistaking that shit for food." That's truly brilliant, RichMahogany. Very profound, indeed. Did it take long to research that answer?