Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Amount Of Fruit? page

Acceptable Amount Of Fruit?

Shop Now
    I am curious as to what an acceptable amount of fruit and nuts would be? I go to Crossfit in the morning and have a banana prior to going for some fuel and when I get back I eat a few straberries. I may have an apple later that day (mid afternoon) but that is it. Nothing for lunch and dinner other than meat and veggies. At about 222 right now at 6'1. Trying to get down to 185.

Since I work out in the morning and eat a pretty decent breakfast (listed below) after my workout, I typically don't get hungry until noon for lunch. Mid-afternoon a convenient, easy snack for me is either walnuts, almonds, avocado with a carrot and possibly an apple.

Pre-Crossfit:
    -Banana

Breakfast:
    -3-4 eggs (in a little butter)
    -Sausage link (140 cal, 14 grams of protein and 1 carb)
    -5-6 small strawberries
    -Coffee with heavy cream
    *I am going to add some mushrooms to my eggs in the morning as well.

Mid Morning Snack *ONLY if I am hungry
    -Almonds or Walnuts

Lunch:
    -Big @ss salad
    -8 ounces of chicken breast
    -red peppers
    -cucumbers
    -EVOO
    -apple cider vinegar
    *If I am not eating fish that night I will have 2 teaspoons (2 grams) of Cod Liver Oil

Mid Afternoon:
    -Either walnuts or almonds, avocado with a carrot or celery and possibly an apple

Dinner:
    -Steak, Fish or Chicken cooked on the grill
    -Veggies or salad with a little EVOO if needed.

I am pretty full after each meal but didn't know if this is too little or too much of anything. Please advise. Thank you.

Steve

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Are you losing weight? If not, try to stop snacking. Cut back on the nuts and seeds. Both of these things are notorious for hindering weight loss. Coffee and dairy can also be problematic, but it doesn't look like you're consuming too much of either.

Fruit isn't a problem here. Looks like you're eating a banana, some strawberries, and an apple at most. As someone who's doing Crossfit, you could definitely eat more fruit if you wanted to.

When you get down to your goal weight, you should be able to eat as much fruit as you'd like.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me. Long as you feel good. Just remember that if your working out hard you could gain some lean mass while losing some fat (body recomposition), so the scale does not tell all.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree with tarek - the nuts are more likely to be a problem.

Try to cut down to eating them once a day as a snack or condiment.

And cut down on the snacking gradually. Within a few months, snacking will feel totally alien to you.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Pardon me, I don't want to sound harsh.. but -
    Are you losing weight?
    Are you feeling good?
    Are you happy?

Then eat your damned fruits - you don't need permission from anyone.
    If you are worried about "sugar addiction", please remember removing all fruits completely will make you insulin resistant.
    In my humble opinion, it is like alcohol addiction. If you completely avoid it, you are still an addict. Don't let it control you.
    Now, I'm not saying go back to bread or anything like that.. I've been primal since January and I can count on one hand the times I've 'cheated' (A cake, a beer, etc). But it's OK. The point is not to stress about it, because if you do than it's easy to fall off the wagon and binge.

I guess it's not the answer you looked for but I think it's the answer you deserve.
    Take care, you are on the right path.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    So far I have lost 48 lbs in 7 months. 45 yo dude, 274 to 226. I have pretty much eaten 1-3 pieces of fruit almost every day, at least 4-5 times per week. Usually apples, oranges, grapefruits, berries and occasionally some grapes. I even put peanut butter and honey on my apples sometimes. It is my last stand of peanut butter consumption that I can't quit, and I'm not trying very hard either. :-)

I spent the first 2-3 months snacking my ass off (literally), eating almost constantly. in the last 3-4 months I almost never snack. I regularly fast 20 hours and eat 4 hours 1-3 times per week. I'm finishing up a 48 hour fast right now, dinner Wednesday to dinner Friday. Starting to get pretty hungry.

I think you should eat whatever you want, as long as it is primal, try to eat fat and protein every time you eat. Get yourself a good primal start and give up the grains, legumes and junk food and as you convert to a fat burner your cravings and desire to eat will just gradually go away. I wouldn't work too hard at fine tuning it for the first 2-3 months. Just get it going.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    If you are worried about "sugar addiction", please remember removing all fruits completely will make you insulin resistant.
    Say wha??

Anyhow, eat as much fruit as you want, but try to cut back on meals/snacks. Snacking will hinder weight loss for lots of people and isn't healthy, you don't want to be constantly digesting food-give your body time off to do other things! Try to combine your meals and snacks into 2-3 big meals.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

I sometimes drink a cup of coffee in the afternoon if I didn't get a good nights sleep (kids). Nuts are once a day and the only dairy is in my coffee. Not sure how someone drew alcoholism into the conversation equating it to sugar addiction for me but the answer would be no. I am just trying to make sure I am doing this correctly. I feel pretty good. My energy and concentration are improved. I drink the occasional glass or two of red wine and have some dark chocolate once a week.

I understand that the scale is not a great source of guidance on fitness level and I am not emotionally shackled to what it says. I know my muscle mass is increasing and body fat is decreasing. My pants are becoming loose.

I know some people over do it with fruit and wanted some guidance on that. Thank you to those who responded constructively.

Steve

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate once a week? You aren't eating enough chocolate!! Mark says to eat it every day and I take the very seriously. :-)

That is good advice on trying to consolidate your eating. Easier said than done early on, but it is a great goal. I eat once or twice per day now and it really takes you to another level of energy and feeling great! But, you have to get your body converted fro sugar burner to fat burner first. You'll know when it is time to start pushing it and eating later or farther apart. in the beginning eat when you are hungry. Especially fat and protein.

From what I've read you are doing great and are definitely heading the right direction.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cardillo View Post
    I am just trying to make sure I am doing this correctly.

I know some people over do it with fruit and wanted some guidance on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cardillo View Post
    I feel pretty good. My energy and concentration are improved.
    I know my muscle mass is increasing and body fat is decreasing. My pants are becoming loose.
    There's your answer.
    I just disagree with the comments saying "cut back on the snacks"/"eat less meals"/"2 fruits a day max!" without knowing you or how you feel.
    As each body is different than the other, you and you only know what works for you - trust yourself!

Also really glad to read you feel better! Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 05-04-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast