Thread: What supplements do I need to make night leg cramps stop? page

catholicchick is offline Senior Member

What supplements do I need to make night leg cramps stop?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For about the past two weeks I have been waking up with leg cramps. I am drinking enough water so that isn't the issue. My husband says potassium - I tried taking 500 mg tablet the other night and still woke up, so I took another at 3 am and slept through the rest of the night.

Anyone have any other ideas?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What I need is potassium, magnesium with calcium and salt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    I take potassium and magnesium as well. But I need to stretch before bed if I want an uninterrepted sleep. How many times a night do you get them?
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Cramps basically limited my leg work to walking and sprinting. Couldn't touch a bicycle or squat at all without unleashing the demons. So I added magnesium - and it helped a little bit. Adding salt back into my diet helped a little, too. But all the electrolytes in the world barely made a dent until I started stirring in 3/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) into some water and drinking it after any workout, bicycling, etc. Just don't get carried away, alkalosis is possible.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Leg cramping can be related to neuropathy. Sometimes diabetic sometimes more mechanical (buldge disc or stenosis in spine). Supplements are cool if its due to some eloctrolyte imbalance, but if its one of those other issues see either your MD (diabetes checkup) or your DC (check your spine). When I herniated a disc my right calf would cramp and then spasm up hard as a rock some nights.

Don't wanna scare you....try the supplement and food route first, just throwing out another perspective.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    I get them too, still trying to figure out the dosing on my supplements. I take 550 magnesium, 200 potassium and make sure to salt my food. Was still feeling them yesterday so I ate a banana and that helped immensely, so I'll be upping my potassium supplement today to get that effect without the banana. (I don't really like the taste).

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium took care of it for me. 200mg Magnesium Chelate, twice a day (400gm total).

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium works for me and helps keep me regular. Although, a month ago I decided to stop all the supplements I was taking because I wasn't sure anything really was doing anything. I feel no difference either way except for the magnesium. It does seem to keep me regular. Lately, I've been adding in Celtic sea salt to my water and dropped the magnesium. I feel totally fine.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For me it's B complex and magnesium. I get enough from a simple multivitamin supplement. But if I laps, in about 2 weeks, I get cramps. A couple of months back I bought another brand of multivitamin, and apparently, it did not have magnesium. It took about a month for cramps to resurface with just B, no magnesium.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

bfchooch is offline Junior Member
    The latest episode of Revolution Health Radio discusses this exact topic.

Podcasts