Thread: Losing weight (too) quickly? page

magda is offline Member

Losing weight (too) quickly?

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I've started eating and exercising primal about 2,5 weeks ago. I feel good, I haven't had the infamous carb flu and I don't experience sugar crashes that used to happen to me quite often. However, I'm losing more weight that I'd like to... I'm 5'4'' and was 116 LBS to begin with, which I think isn't too much for my height. I haven't checked my weight for some time, but I did today and the scales showed 109 LBS AND I see a lot of muscle growth... While I'm happy to gain some muscle and lose some fat, I'm also concerned about losing too much weight (plus, I already had to exchange all my clothes once when I lost 20+ pounds some time ago and it would be quite costly to have to buy all the new pants once again )

So, my question is: is this normal/OK? I don't think I have any health issues that could cause weight loss. I feel good in general and by bloodwork is OK too. I also don't think I eat too little - I eat 4 meals a day (3 standard + a snack), no grains and legumes, a lot of fats & veggies... I'm mindful of my protein and probably eat more fruit & nuts than recommended (usually I have a banana with my breakfast and an orange or an apple as a snack). I do 2 LHT workouts a week + more or less one sprint session a week. Other than that, I cycle to my office (about 13 miles a day) and walk quite a bit, but don't run a marathon every weekend or something Oh, and I don't fast (for now), because I have a history of eating disorders and I'm a bit scared to mess with my eating schedule.

I'd really appreciate your opinions

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    So you've lost 7lbs in 2 and a half weeks. That's pretty quick but nothing alaming at the start of a new way of eating, cutting grains my have stopped bloating and water retention, and most of it could be water weight.

You sound like you are already at a good weight, so you may not be eating enough, switching from low fat, lots of legumes for protien to higher fat lots of meat meant I was eating far less at first, so lost a lot of weight quickly, about 28lbs in just over a month. You will adjust and be able to eat what your body needs, and if you are at a good weight you can handle good starches like sweet potatoes and root veg as well as white rice and potatoes if you want.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    I can't really give you any advice as I'm struggling to loose 3kgs, however I would like to see a sample day of what you eat because that may help me lol!

magda is offline Member
    Hi,

thanks for the replies
    As for what I eat, here is yesterday's menu

Breakfast:
    Clean the fridge smoothie: 1 small avocado, 1 egg, 1 banana, some almond milk, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp carob powder + some goji berries and nuts for crunch

Lunch:
    4 "muffins" made of ground chicken breast, broccoli, cheese and eggs (+ seasonings of course ) and about 2/3 cup of homemade salsa

Snack:
    an orange and about 1/3 cup cashews

Dinner:
    1 can tuna, 1/2 avocado and about 100g full fat cottage cheese, all mashed with some salt, pepper and lemon juice and mixed with 1 chopped tomato.

1,5 cups coffee and water and tea throughout the day

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm agreeing with Tribal Rob - it was probably water weight that you lost, which would also be why you are starting to be able to see your muscles.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

hastu.sam111 is offline Junior Member
    Why is losing weight quickly unhealthy? And how quickly is too quickly?
    I've always heard that losing weight too quickly is unhealthy, but why is that? Other than eating poorly or starving yourself. How quickly would be too quickly?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I had the same results when I first started. I dropped weight quickly, and then it slowed down by 4-5 weeks.

magda is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What I had in mind when asking this question was that maybe I'm not eating right or not eating enough or generally doing something wrong. But it appears to be OK I wonder about your suggestions regarding water weight since I don't use less salt than I used to (I generally use salt moderately and use a ton of spices instead) nor do I drink less. Does ditching gluten/grains have something to do with water retention?