Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long living cultures page 4

Vegemighty is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I think the most important thing is that these cultures still get all their vitamins and minerals from their food and that they aren't sedentary, they usually walk everywhere because they live in small walkable communities.

I don't think theres alot that has to do with what you eat which directly affects your longevity, its merely a factor of nutrition, and then if avoid a sedentary lifestyle, I dont see any reason why you wouldn't live past 100.

I intend to live forever.

Acmebike is offline Member

Someone made the comment "it's not what you eat, it's what you DON'T eat" and that would be sugars, industrial veggie/seed oils, and processed carb foods!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

@Athena

Remember that pasta only came to Italy from Marco Polo's trip. So Italians haven't had all that long to get used to it, compared to Chinese getting used to rice.

I read that Chinese have bigger salivary glands and a lot more Islets in the pancreas to deal with all that starch.

As for corn/beans eaters, the Mexicans who come up here to work are often extremely short, though wiry and very strong. Not all of them, but many of them.

Sean40 Guest

Acmebike, it is just a question meant to get responses that would educate me and nothing else. I am living the primal diet as I type....so no, I had not come to any conclusions. I think everybody should question everything, and be able to do it without retaliation.

Thanks for everybody's opinions.

Prowler Guest

I 100% agree with Dr. Kurt Harris here, that the common factor in all of these long-lived cultures is not something that they eat, but something (or someTHINGS) that they don't eat.

And also, I want to point out that longevity is not the end-all metric of health. Longevity is a good thing, but it doesn't mean that these people are not plagued by chronic health conditions that don't shorten the lifespan. More data is needed to assess quality of life, not just length.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

Why is everyone sure they eat little animal protein? My impressions from east Asia and from a lot of my east-Asian friends (Thailand, Japan and China), even though animal protein is not the main stay, it's not occasional. Almost every meal my friends cook (and every meal I had in east Asia) has some form of animal protein in it.

Like someone already mentioned, the Okinawans literally eat the whole pig. I've had Pig Face soup at an Okinawan restaurant in Japan and remember laughing that this certainly was not in the magazine article I read about their healthy diet.

As everyone mentioned, it's probably lack of sugar and high amounts of fructose and heavily processed food.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Yeah, I've come to agree that health has a lot to do with what isn't eaten. I'm from a large family (six children) that has enjoyed what seems to be an unusually healthy existence. We never had health insurance and it never mattered. I can't remember any of us ever getting sick, with the exception of the rare stomach flu. We did eat pasta and rice (we didn't have a lot of money) but my mom was crazy about not eating sugar and making everything from scratch. I don't know that our Omega-6's were low, but sugar and processed food were non-existent. We all have good teeth and grew to be taller than our parents. We'll see how it translates to longevity, but it has resulted in high fertility.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

When I was on holiday in China last year I actually lost weight while stuffing my face on delicious Chinese food every day (this sort of lead to my long and circuitous journey to this site). While rice was served with each meal, I only ate a small amount of it and feasted on the meat and fish meals that were served up. Plenty of protein (and fat) on offer, admittedly to a tourist.

Interestingly Western take aways are popular with young people there and they are now developing weight problems (and what else!).

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

^^This

I spent 2 months this summer in Russia and lost over 10 pounds in the first month eating foods most of us would consider unhealthy:

--meats cooked in a lot of butter and oil

--LOTS of fish

--veggies cooked in a lot of butter and oil

--potatoes cooked in oil and butter

--"salads" (salat) veggies and fruits, usually tomato, cucumber, radish, and dill covered in a lot of mayo...a lot of mayo...

--bread with almost every meal: REAL bread, not American air and flour, baked in someone's home kitchen and sold at the market

--a few fruits, usually strawberries. I bought other fruits though

--oatmeal cooked with full-fat cream or milk

--occasional desserts (Russia has AMAZING chocolate)

--Vodka of course (I'll let you all assume the worst)

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234