Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging is not "chronic cardio" page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Jogging is not "chronic cardio"

Primal Fuel
    This has been a hot button topic on these boards for a while. I just came across this article and felt like stirring the pot!

Jogging 'adds five years or more to life' - Telegraph
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Jogging only need be chronic for someone who's unfit.

For someone who's fit, it's easy to jog at <75% max heart rate, making it low-level cardio.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    A comment I once read in another running related forum seems apt and consistent with the article Al linked and the comment above: For most people, their slow runs are too fast and their fast runs are too slow.

Having said that, the article seems to have the usual confusion over correlation vs causation, though it is not clear if that is a result of muddled science, muddled reporting, or both.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How many years does walking add to life?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think it is kind of a gray area.... I think jogging done in a healthy way, for a healthy reason is great. Going for a run a few times a week is awesome. However, I know for me, I got a little obsessed- running 6 days a week, through pain and illness, even getting a "run in" at 3pm on a day with a heat index over 110. That said, the problem was me, the unhealthy thing was not running, but the mindset that at any cost - the run must be done.

The other thing is that people here really do a number misinterpreting small thoughts on the Primal Blueprint.... I mean.... people think fruit is toxic and bad for you. And the whole idea that one must eat VLC. So its not super suprising that people think jogging is bad for you.

BTW, Al, I love your book and a lot of your ideas including the part about using common sense/your own brain on things. You have a great philosophy that is refreshing among fitness and nutrition types. No absolutes.....

jakey is offline Senior Member
    al kavadlo, you are the man. obligatory first statement for me.

i think the chronic cardio thing is blown way over the top around here. i take it to mean - don't do gerbil stuff. treadmills, indoor machine cardio. go into the world. don't force ridiculous mileage. if you observe those last two caveats, everything will be fine.

I dunno- even indoor machines have their place.... though I once did 20 miles on a treadmill.... and I'm an 11 minute mile gal. Sometimes a treadmill is needed. This week it has been in the 90's and my trails are full of mosquitos. I think variety is what is called for. We need regular activity and sometimes to get it done, 30 minutes on a treadmill is your best option. Somedays a 10 mile hike works. Somedays its about walking the dog.

And actually, given how sedentary people are.... if walking for 45 minutes in front of a TV on a treadmill gets someone off the couch, its a good thing.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You could likely do a study on most exercise done sensibly and it would show that it adds years to ones life so to speak. In other words, take a person who does nothing and then they adopt a walking routine as well as being active in general. In most cases it would lead to a longer life than if the person remained inactive.

As to chronic? Anything can be labeled as such if it is overdone.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As I look outside today at the glorious sunshine and bright spring day, I want to go for a jog instead of a walk, because it is simply this kind of an uplifting day. Walking will get me back to the office faster and out of it as well to go do my gardening. Sure, if I go for a jog or walk & then skip home to garden, I won't be doing a HIT in the gym on the bike. Am I substituting HIT for the bad chronic cardio, or for play or slow movement or... I think the less I try to think about it, but just go with what my body and mood and weather dictate, the better I will be of! What will add years to my life & take inches from my hips& thighs? Who knows. But I want to go for a jog at lunch, not screw the calories out of the bike in the gym after work.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-04-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast