Thread: Cholesterol, are these results that bad? page

paul.hugill is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol, are these results that bad?

Shop Now
    So a year ago I had my blood tested as part of a health screening and these are the results:
    Total Cholesterol 8.0 mmol/l
    HDL 1.8 mmol/L
    %HDL/Total Cholesterol 23
    LDL Cholesterol 5.5 mmol/L
    Triglycerides 1.5 mmol/L
    Fasting Blood sugar 4.4 mmol/L

I'm 27, 178cm tall and weighed in at 92.2kg and 23.6% BF.

Since then I have eating fairly Primal (probably around 80% with dairy but little exercise as I broke my foot running) and dropped to 80.5kg abd 17.9 BF, so this year I was hoping to see some reduction in Cholesterol but here are my new results:
    Total Cholesterol: 7.8 mmol/l
    HDL: 1.9 mmol/l
    %HDL / Total Cholesterol : 24%
    LDL Cholesterol: 5.3 mmol/l
    Triglycerides: 1.3
    Fasting Blood sugar: 4.5

My concern is that my LDL has not really reduced but i can see that my Triglycerides are low and HDL is really high so atleast its not all that bad.

Do I need my doctor to perform other tests to find out if I have the good or bad LDL, and can they see if I have a predisposition to high colesterol from any tests (My mother has high cholesterol)?

Thanks guys
    Paul

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Those number are in different units that what I'm familiar with. But keep a few things in mind. Due to rounding, your percent HDL has changed by nearly 2% but you'r only seeing 1% because it started at 22.5 and is now 24.3. LDL is calculated and doesn't mean much as what really matters is the size of the particles.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    For us crazy people in the U.S., the numbers convert to:

Total Cholesterol 8.0 mmol/l = 310 mg/dL
    HDL 1.8 mmol/L = 69 mg/dL
    %HDL/Total Cholesterol 23
    LDL Cholesterol 5.5 mmol/L = 213 mg/dL
    Triglycerides 1.5 mmol/L = 133 mg/dL
    Fasting Blood sugar 4.4 mmol/L = 79.2 mg/dL

I'm 27, 178cm tall (5'10") and weighed in at 92.2kg (203 lbs) and 23.6% BF.

Since then I have eating fairly Primal (probably around 80% with dairy but little exercise as I broke my foot running) and dropped to 80.5kg abd 17.9 BF, so this year I was hoping to see some reduction in Cholesterol but here are my new results:

Total Cholesterol: 7.8 mmol/l = 301 mg/dL
    HDL: 1.9 mmol/l = 73 mg/dL
    %HDL / Total Cholesterol : 24%
    LDL Cholesterol: 5.3 mmol/l = 205 mg/dL
    Triglycerides: 1.3 = 115 mg/dL
    Fasting Blood sugar: 4.5 = 81 mg/dL
    --------------------------------------------------------

Your numbers looks pretty good overall, very similar to mine actually. Just the total cholesterol is a little worrying. I'm working on getting my total cholesterol lower. From listening to Chris Masterjohn, when you start getting above 6.5mmol/L = 250 mg/dL or so, you should probably start thinking of reasons for why it is elevated.

In my case, I think I had been placing too much stress on my body by fasting every day and weight training intensely 4x/week. I've cut out the fasting and am trying to do only 1-2 really intense sessions per week. I'm not sure if that's the case with you or not. My fasting blood glucose was elevated too, so that was another indicator for me to think as I did.

You may want to get a full thyroid panel (TSH, T4, T3, rT3) to rule out the possibility of that being a problem. If you have hypothyroidism, it can downregulate the conversion of cholesterol into all the wonderful things that our bodies use it for. Chris Kresser has some good material on this subject. Sometimes all that is needed is to increase carb intake from good sources (sweet potato, potato, even white rice). Also, you can get genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolemia to rule that out.

Unfortunately, the NMR/VAP tests are kinda useless since they are so wildly innaccurate. See this post from Mark:
    How to Interpret Advanced Cholesterol Test Results | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by yodiewan; 05-04-2012 at 06:22 AM.