Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low carb flu vs leptin resistance page

Tom93084 is offline Junior Member

Low carb flu vs leptin resistance

Shop Now
    I started paleo in the last 2 months and have been strict paleo for the last two weeks. I have given up rice and potatoes and do limited fruit. I eat plenty of fats and protein. However, I feel like I'm lacking energy when I'm on the golf course walking and just in general when I exert myself. I am in excellent shape i weight 177 and am 6 feet tall and have a six pack. I have attributed this to the low carb flu. However, I recently have been reading about leptin resistance. I'm confused as to the difference between the two. From my understanding the low carb flu is your body transitioning from processing carbs to fats as your main source of energy. And leptin resistance is your body signaling you that you need more sugar when in fact you have eating a meal of fat and are actually full.

Can someone please explain the difference? Also, is the remedy, the leptin reset, not the cure for each of these problems?

Thank you for your help.

Tom

Anyone?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    forget about leptin resistance, the description you have posted is weird, and almost sounds like a description of glucagon.

by anyone's definition, at 6 feet and 177, with a six pack, you're not leptin resistant. so don't worry about that.

i don't know why you want to go so low carb, but you can if you'd like. you'll need more fat in your diet though. your body can burn both sugar and fat with little to no training, unless you have a serious problem, like metabolic syndrome. which you don't have. shouldn't take much adjustment.

it takes time to adjust to ketosis, however, and you may in fact be putting yourself in ketosis if you eat too few carbs. try eating more fat for energy, if you're going to limit carbs. you really only get energy from fat and carbs - it's gotta be one or the other.

otzi Guest
    This is a very strange question, indeed. What are your goals? It seems you are at a good weight and active. If you just want to get/stay healthy the Primal Blueprint way, just eat good food and follow Mark's fitness plan. Don't worry about limiting carbs, just stay away from the processed carbs like flour, sugar, and HFCS and stay away from vegetable oils. Eat real food. Don't stress it.

Leptin is not an issue for you, I guarantee that!

My goal is to use ketosis as my main energy burning mechanism. From what I understand it will make me spike less. I'm trying to become great at golf and would like to be as even as possible. However, I haven't been able to sustain my energy through a round yet.

So basically what your two are saying is I'm basically suffering from the low carb flu?

I think I definitely get enough fat, I'll have 6 to 7 eggs and 6 oz of bacon for breakfast every day. Then I will follow it up with several meals of steak, various fish, beef, and bison.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It sounds like low carb flu to me. Most people can get over it in a week or two but often there's another round that happens at about 5 weeks or so, sometime after you were starting to feel really good. That 2nd round is caused by a loss of water weight and with it a flushing of potassium from your body. It helps to consume more salt and take potassium and magnesium supplements.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It sounds like low carb flu to me. Most people can get over it in a week or two but often there's another round that happens at about 5 weeks or so, sometime after you were starting to feel really good. That 2nd round is caused by a loss of water weight and with it a flushing of potassium from your body. It helps to consume more salt and take potassium and magnesium supplements.
    That seems to be it. I felt bad initially and thought I was coming out of it, but then felt low energy again.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    forget about leptin resistance, the description you have posted is weird, and almost sounds like a description of glucagon.

by anyone's definition, at 6 feet and 177, with a six pack, you're not leptin resistant. so don't worry about that.
    This. Heck even if Jack Kruse is your guy he recommends "the mirror test". Is there a lot of fat on your body when you look in the mirror? No? You don't have leptin resistance.

If your getting tired walking the golf course either your outa shape or not eating enough, or guess its just carb flu. Heck even eating very low carb you shouldn't be huffin n puffin just walking a course. I'd track for a couple of days to make sure your eating as much as you think....I'm 5'9" 160 and just had lunch ....6 eggs, 1 medium sweet potato (dont do this often) all fried up in 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of butter, coffee with heavy cream and I'm just satiated. My carbs are in the 50-100g range and I'm never bonking.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil and butter are both short to medium chain triglycerides and are easier to metabolize than pork or beef fat. You could try using more of these fats on active days and see if it makes a difference.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Just be aware that not everyone feels or performs the same in ketosis. Some folks just can't handle it as well as others...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast