Thread: New to barefoot (minimalist shoes) sprinting, help? page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

New to barefoot (minimalist shoes) sprinting, help?

I am a newbie to most fitness programs, and overweight, so keep that in mind. I've never been a jogger, it feels like I'm tromping around and it rattles my joints. I've always been a sprinter, the only sport I participated in growing up was softball, so sprinting to base was the only running I ever did, but I was pretty decent at it. I also never owned traditional running shoes/tennis shoes growing up, I always preferred thin/flat soled shoes (Keds, Chuck Taylors, etc.) and when I bought my first pair of running shoes last summer, my legs hurt in all kinds of strange places just trying to jog through the first few weeks of Couch to 5K. I don't do heel strikes.

That said, I now own and love a pair of Merrell barefoot running shoes. We only started up our exercise routine last week, but today on a whim (the indoor track at the Y was pretty empty) I decided to sprint. It was glorious!!! I'd been "tromping around" trying to jog/walk all week, and suddenly I was free! It felt so much more natural to me. One thing though--my left calf is aching now, I think because I tried to take a turn at high speed. Am I doing this wrong? I am pretty sure I have a natural stride (felt like I was bouncing, not impacting) but I hate how much I enjoyed it vs. how much pain I'm in now. Maybe I just overdid it, I was just too elated, lol.

Any advice?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Your calf muscles will hurt for a while until they build up the strength to handle the load. Take it easy, and don't overdo it.

Thanks, I think I had a high figuring out that I can and love to sprint, and I just need to take it easy next time.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Advice - ICE for 10 mins, Hot Water Bottle for 10 mins, repeat till bored rest a day or 2 at least depending on if it's just soreness or muscle pull, that always helps healing IME. If it's not better in a couple of days seek medical advice not from some internet numpty like me

When it stops hurting run like satan is chasing you again coz it's fun
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I am a newbie to most fitness programs, and overweight, so keep that in mind. I've never been a jogger, it feels like I'm tromping around and it rattles my joints. I've always been a sprinter, the only sport I participated in growing up was softball, so sprinting to base was the only running I ever did, but I was pretty decent at it. I also never owned traditional running shoes/tennis shoes growing up, I always preferred thin/flat soled shoes (Keds, Chuck Taylors, etc.) and when I bought my first pair of running shoes last summer, my legs hurt in all kinds of strange places just trying to jog through the first few weeks of Couch to 5K. I don't do heel strikes.

That said, I now own and love a pair of Merrell barefoot running shoes. We only started up our exercise routine last week, but today on a whim (the indoor track at the Y was pretty empty) I decided to sprint. It was glorious!!! I'd been "tromping around" trying to jog/walk all week, and suddenly I was free! It felt so much more natural to me. One thing though--my left calf is aching now, I think because I tried to take a turn at high speed. Am I doing this wrong? I am pretty sure I have a natural stride (felt like I was bouncing, not impacting) but I hate how much I enjoyed it vs. how much pain I'm in now. Maybe I just overdid it, I was just too elated, lol.

Any advice?
    If anything, the sore calf means you're doing it right. That is to say that your calf is doing its proper job as a shock absorber/equalizer now instead of letting the impact be transmitted to your joints. Like the others said, rest it up, and take it slow next time.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    yep, take it easy and take your time. sprints can cause pain in places that never hurt before. I have a broken rib or several from biting the dust trying to catch my wife. But, sprinting in Vibrams feels amazing and I love it.

Jogging sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! just say no. Walk or sprint.

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's good to know I'm doing it right--my husband is a heel strike/running shoes jogger, and still thinks I'm a bit nutty for doing the barefoot shoes and sprinting the way I do, but it feels so much better to me. I am resting and my calves feel a good deal better today. I certainly love sprinting and will be back at it on Monday.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just started too and my shins are super sore two days later! I also have the Merrells.