Thread: whey protein and insulin page

DavidL is offline Junior Member

whey protein and insulin

Primal Fuel
    Loren Cordain presents research showing that whey, while low glycemic, is extremely insulinemic. If true, I suspect this would be cause for concern with whey protein powders. Any thoughts?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    The best time to have your protien powder is right after your work out. The increase in insulin will also help build muscle as insulin is incredibly anobolic. Even more so than testosterone.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, Insulin is a builder. That can mean fat, but it also works to put BCAA into muscle cells. Spiking insulin after strength work could be pretty desirable. It's all a balancing act.

Aussie_Andy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Loren Cordain presents research showing that whey, while low glycemic, is extremely insulinemic. If true, I suspect this would be cause for concern with whey protein powders. Any thoughts?
    Its the BCAA's in the whey that cause the spike.
    Certainlu something to keep in mind, but I wouldnt overly stress about it.

DavidL is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As I understand it, many protein sources offer significant BCAA's, but not all are considered low glycemic (almost all animal based protein sources) and paradoxically hyper insulinemic. I might be incorrect, but as far as I can tell this is an odd duck that Cordain has publicized greatly but no one else seems to mention. While insulin can/is beneficial for transporting various macronutrients out of circulation and into the cells, it's most often a foe to the majority of folks who are on the insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome conveyer belt, which is why lower glycemic foods (this case may be an exception) are best for fat loss. thoughts?