Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Political & socio-economic nerd-rage thread. page 48

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    They understood that we all do better when we all do better.
    ...and they understood that we all do the hokey-pokey when we all do the hokey-pokey...
    ...and they understood that we all do the time warp when we all do the time warp...
    ...and they understood that we all do the hot potato when we all do the hot potato...

wiltondeportes Guest
    Of course they did. They understood that we all do better when we all do better.
    Ok, so one of us is misunderstanding Rand then. Why can't one use objectivism and tribalism together? You say she is against all collectivity, but I see collectivity as a derivation from her basic concept.

Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    And unfettered capitalism works (or can work)? Sure. If you say so. Why don't you check how it ended up in Europe in the first half of the 20th century? BTW, the last time I checked, Sweden (and the entire Europe) was capitalistic.
    I wasn't going to bother to reply but just for fun...

...are you trying to tell me that Hitler and Mussolini rose to power because Joe had a free voluntary exchange with the farmer down the street?

I was also wondering if you actually learned that from somewhere, or do you just make this stuff up?

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Ok, so one of us is misunderstanding Rand then. Why can't one use objectivism and tribalism together? You say she is against all collectivity, but I see collectivity as a derivation from her basic concept.
    Be very clear on what you mean by objectivism and tribalism. I cannot even begin to make a reply because I have no idea what those words are being defined as.

The key to philosophy and finding truth is clear and precise definitions of the words you use.

In my mind, tribalism does not mean how people lived in paleolithic times. In other words, just living in a tribe does not make you a Tribalist.
    Last edited by Grok; 07-25-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spel cheque

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    When you step out of your car you become a pedestrian. It doesn't mean that city planners can't speak of drivers and pedestrians.
    I don't understand the relevance of your statement. It has nothing to do with workers versus "bosses", and the (false) conflict therein.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Be very clear on what you mean by objectivism and tribalism. I cannot even begin to make a reply because I have no idea what those words are being defined as.

The key to philosophy and finding truth is clear and precise definitions of the words you use.

In my mind, tribalism does not mean how people lived in paleolithic times. In other words, just living in a tribe does not make you a Tribalist.
    The best examples I can think of for recognizing the true values of a tribe are the books by Daniel Quinn. There might be a way better book out there on the subject, but it wouldn't be popular since almost no English-speaking person likes to think of these tribes as having superior values/systems in some ways.

Objectivism
    John Galt Speech Summarized
    Rand Speech to West Point
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 07-25-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithpowers View Post
    I don't understand the relevance of your statement. It has nothing to do with workers versus "bosses", and the (false) conflict therein.
    It's about roles -- one person can have several. I work for most of my money but own a little stock. Does that make me a worker or a capitalist? It makes me a little of both. But that doesn't mean that speaking of "workers" and "capitalists" is an exercise in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    The Rand quote that was provided was basically a slam on tribalism.

An example of this might be hologram stickers you see on your PC which says you can only run a certain copy of Microsoft. This is a free market example of how a company tries to protect its intellectual property.
    If not backed ultimately by violence what fuck should I give about Microsoft's stickers?

I wasn't going to bother to reply but just for fun...

...are you trying to tell me that Hitler and Mussolini rose to power because Joe had a free voluntary exchange with the farmer down the street?

I was also wondering if you actually learned that from somewhere, or do you just make this stuff up?
    Can't speak for anna5 but she may have been pointing to the early 20th century depressions.

Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast