Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Political & socio-economic nerd-rage thread. page 47

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    But capitalism does. It requires a massive police state to guard private property and collect the taxes to pay for it.
    No it doesn't. That's just an excuse the police state uses to try and convince you that they are needed.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    No it doesn't. That's just an excuse the police state uses to try and convince you that they are needed.
    Agreed. Crony Capitalism requires a police state. Corporatism requires a police state. But true free market capitalism needs no such thing.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    ...against the laboring class. I prefer the Wobbly strategy of uniting employees and customers against the bosses.
    Before I respond to this statement, I have to ask, are you being serious? Do you really see things in terms of the "laboring class" vs "the bosses"?

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    Before I respond to this statement, I have to ask, are you being serious? Do you really see things in terms of the "laboring class" vs "the bosses"?
    ...and if so, how does one tiptoe on that fine line when someone strikes out on his/her own as a business owner? Do they BECOME EVIL because they choose to take the risk of enterpeneurship(sp?)? I don't think so... this line of thinking is muddled at best... misguided at worst.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    What gets me about arguments against (free market) capitalism is that this is coming from someone who is actively posting to (as in supporting) a forum owned by a free market entrepreneurship, Mark's Daily Apple.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithpowers View Post
    ...and if so, how does one tiptoe on that fine line when someone strikes out on his/her own as a business owner? Do they BECOME EVIL because they choose to take the risk of enterpeneurship(sp?)? I don't think so... this line of thinking is muddled at best... misguided at worst.
    When you step out of your car you become a pedestrian. It doesn't mean that city planners can't speak of drivers and pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    Agreed. Crony Capitalism requires a police state. Corporatism requires a police state. But true free market capitalism needs no such thing.
    Can you name a capitalist state that doesn't have police? How are property (including intellectual) rights enforced?

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Have you considered that peopled joined/stayed in tribes for their own personal interest?
    Of course they did. They understood that we all do better when we all do better.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Can you name a capitalist state that doesn't have police? How are property (including intellectual) rights enforced?
    I grew up in a town with no police.

Things like patents and trademarks and other laws to prevent copying are all forms of violence. They are enforced through the violence of the state. This is bad. It creates a wealth gap, and wealth gaps are bad. All wealth gaps are created by government. The wealthy use government to steal from the poor to protect their property. This is why government is bad.

In a society without government, you are responsible for protecting your own property.

An example of this might be hologram stickers you see on your PC which says you can only run a certain copy of Microsoft. This is a free market example of how a company tries to protect its intellectual property.

Although I'm sure Microsoft uses the state to a great extent as well to protect its IP, which is bad. It basically means they are using violence against the people to pay for their own property protection.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    collectivists' planned markets are to economics as GMOs are to planned genetics. Men always distrust natural evolution, of markets or nature, since it seems so haphazard a system....in their mind
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast