Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight, and other questions... page

AlexD is offline Junior Member

Losing weight, and other questions...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was wondering if anyone could mention any modifications that might help speed weight loss in someone who is already at a lower weight. I'm 17, 5'4, and currently weigh 125 pounds. I've gained a lot of weight in the past 2 years due to stress and personal issues, that have since resolved, and wanted to return to my previous weight of 110 pounds. I know that that seems a little thin, but in my personal experience, it's the weight I felt healthiest at; (my father is Mexican, my mother is Korean, and I'm very small-boned. I've been everywhere from 100 to 125 in the past four years). I picked up the Primal Blueprint diet, and I'm really interested in it, but I'm worried about the higher calories of some items. I feel like it could compromise my ability to lose weight in a faster time period. I have 15 weeks until starting college, and would like to lose 15 to 20 pounds in that time frame. So, a few questions:

1) Would it be okay to completely cut out all fattier forms of meat? I'm currently a pescetarian, so I only eat fish. Should I start eating other meats, or is this okay if everything I eat is wild-caught? I don't really have a taste for meat, and I feel like fish and eggs offer enough variety for me already.
    2) I also wanted to ask about dairy. Currently, I eat nonfat Fage greek yogurt for breakfast every day. Is there a certain reason why Mark recommends full-fat dairy? Because that's more caloric and too rich for me. Would eating nonfat dairy, or switching to low-fat suffice? I'm already planning to cut back dairy to only 3 or 4 servings a week, typically after working out, after reading the book.
    3) As for working out, should I continue to do cardio once daily? I do it for health reasons, not weight loss, but in the book, moderate levels of activity are more recommended.
    4) And finally, should I still continue to eat every 3 or 4 hours? I've heard people say that that helps the metabolism regulate itself... Or should I only eat when I'm hungry?

Sorry for all the questions, haha. I'm just really curious. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this and is taking their time to help

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i'm going to take your word for it, that what you seek is healthy fat loss. cause 125 at 5'4" (are you a guy?) is not really fat.

but to get to your questions -

1) you can stick strictly to fish and eggs, that's fine. i don't think you should do so out of a fear of fat, though. but there's nothing wrong with fish and eggs. both are high quality sources of animal protein.

2) there's also nothing wrong with non-fat Fage greek yogurt. mark recommends a very low carb diet to people, so to keep calories up, he recommends high fat products. it's a trade off between carbs and fat.

3) 'cardio' is a bit overrated for fitness purposes, but it really depends on what routine you're actually doing. fuel too. a big reason why long bouts of cardio are discouraged in the low carb world is cause they're damn hard to do on a low carb diet! which is not to say that i think long bouts of cardio are healthy.

4) there's no need to eat every 3 or 4 hours, or according to any clock. two big meals a day is fine. four small meals a day is fine. i prefer 3 square meals most of the time, but indeed, eat when you're hungry.

fatisyummy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    3) As for working out, should I continue to do cardio once daily? I do it for health reasons, not weight loss, but in the book, moderate levels of activity are more recommended.
    As someone with pretty similar stats and goals to yours, let me share with you something I have learned. Cardio is stupid. Well, at least it was for me. I thought I could go in and put in my time and check the box for the day. I gave up running 6 miles every day and just try to focus on fun activities and am in the best shape I've ever been in. Turns out, playing, house cleaning, gardening, just moving your body more during the day all the time is absolutely where it's at!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you've been gaining weight in the past 2 years in part because you're GROWING...teenagers tend to do that.

I have 15 weeks until starting college, and would like to lose 15 to 20 pounds in that time frame.
    You have 15 weeks to get in the habit of eating and moving for optimal health. Primal is NOT a weight loss gimmick. Yes, people do lose weight when they eat this way because its a side effect a healthy lifestyle. The people losing piles of fat in a hurry are the ones with piles of fat to lose.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Maybe you've been gaining weight in the past 2 years in part because you're GROWING...teenagers tend to do that.

You have 15 weeks to get in the habit of eating and moving for optimal health. Primal is NOT a weight loss gimmick. Yes, people do lose weight when they eat this way because its a side effect a healthy lifestyle. The people losing piles of fat in a hurry are the ones with piles of fat to lose.
    I gained 15 pounds almost immediately after being raped, and then 5 pounds a while after my depression was treated. The 5 pounds was ostensibly due to "growth", but both my physician and psychiatrist agree that the 15 pounds I happened to gain in the two months after being raped was probably due to my BEING RAPED. I agree that teenagers can gain weight due to growth, but that wasn't the case with the bulk of mine. Please try to be understanding before being condescending, thanks.

I'm a girl, and I know that that's not fat, but the weight gain was unhealthy, mainly fat, and I'd like to get back to my "happy weight". I'll be sure to start buying the classic Fage yogurt, and to eat only when I'm hungry. Thanks for the advice

Also, do you think cardio is unhealthy? I don't tend to do long bouts of it. I'm just asking because I'm pretty active; tennis and lacrosse, and I like to spin.

Thanks for that thought I stopped playing tennis as much, which is my favorite thing to do, in favor of long runs and cardio classes. I'll start getting back to what I like to do best.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I'm gonna say that recs for more fat in the diet aren't just for the LC approach. I think there is sufficient evidence to show that eating the right fats in abundance is health promoting beyond weight concerns. If your not that into meat use plenty of coconut oil and butter in your cooking.

CarinNunnery is offline Junior Member
    I don't tend to do long bouts of it.

samira is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    I gained 15 pounds almost immediately after being raped, and then 5 pounds a while after my depression was treated. The 5 pounds was ostensibly due to "growth", but both my physician and psychiatrist agree that the 15 pounds I happened to gain in the two months after being raped was probably due to my BEING RAPED. I agree that teenagers can gain weight due to growth, but that wasn't the case with the bulk of mine. Please try to be understanding before being condescending, thanks.
    Raped? wow! not trying to attack you but that's a little too much info on this thread, take that to a dr phil site. kinda weirds me out actually. i know as a woman and human i should be empathic, but seriously just throwing at out there, its odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast