Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise in cold climates page

Milty is offline Senior Member

Exercise in cold climates

Shop Now
    Stop me if this has been covered.

Ill advised? Potentially beneficial somehow? Stick to indoor exercising during winter instead?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I did snow sprints in the winter. If it is not so cold as to cause harms such as frostbite get outside. If it is thirty below by all means go to the indoor gym. If it is zero to thirty we have cloths , gloves and gear to get through some outdoor excercise
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Very advised. Cold weather means your body has to do more to maintain body-heat, and that means you're getting more benefit by doing less. (see "Thermic effect;" aka, "why Michael Phelps needs 9k calories a day when training")

That said, obviously you need to keep wise as to clothing and whatnot.

What kind of cold climate are you talking? I assume you don't mean Iqaluit in January.

edit: Oh shit. You're in NFL. Hmmm... Definitely be good about clothing, but don't avoid cold weather training. You guys get nailed with -50/-60 C, don't you?
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Very advised. Cold weather means your body has to do more to maintain body-heat, and that means you're getting more benefit by doing less. (see "Thermic effect;" aka, "why Michael Phelps needs 9k calories a day when training")

What kind of cold climate are you talking? I assume you don't mean Iqaluit in January.

edit: Oh shit. You're in NFL. Hmmm... Definitely be good about clothing, but don't avoid cold weather training. You guys get nailed with -50/-60 C, don't you?
    Hahaha, not quite. Sure the wind whipping off the water can be pretty frigid, especially if there's an iceberg in the bay, but it doesn't get as cold as that. -30/-35C is pretty extreme, and that's middle of winter, frostiest night of the year.

I'd think a range around -15C would be the limit I'd consider it. Wind is a huge variable though, it's nothing for it to blow 30-40km/h on a nice day. So it often makes it feel much colder.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milty View Post
    I'd think a range around -15C would be the limit I'd consider it. Wind is a huge variable though, it's nothing for it to blow 30-40km/h on a nice day. So it often makes it feel much colder.
    oh that's not so bad. assuming it doesn't cause breathing problems for you, and you cover all protruding body parts (fingers, ears, etc.) there should be no issue. watch out for ice.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    You are from Newfoundland and they probably have a variant on the saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing. And, since you are from Newfoundland, you know that there really is such a thing as bad weather. Nasty, dreadful weather. Having said all of that, cold weather should rarely be an excuse to flee indoors IMO.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I will run outside down to about -20C. Be careful of frostbite, and consider getting some Yak Tracks or other grips to make it easier in icy conditions. You could also try out cross country skiing or snowshoeing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Rebbeca A. Qualls is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

You are saying right dude..... i agree with your words......... Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    You are from Newfoundland and they probably have a variant on the saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing. And, since you are from Newfoundland, you know that there really is such a thing as bad weather. Nasty, dreadful weather. Having said all of that, cold weather should rarely be an excuse to flee indoors IMO.
    Indeed and that saying is, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour"

Holy crap, you'd consider not working out in -15C weather? If it stays in the 20-30F range for long around here, I get all crazy and threaten to move to Florida or south Alabama. -15C weather? Homie don't play that.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast