Thread: Need some helpmaking sense of things page

cwbearster is offline Junior Member

Need some helpmaking sense of things

Hi All,

First off thanks for taking the time to read. Im Claire, I have just turned 30 and live in the UK. I am yet to start on this lifestyle but cant wait to get going. My main aim is to lose allot of wieght, get fit, and get rid of processed crap!

I stumbled accross this site after reading Dr Biftas book Escape the Diet Trap, which I found a fascinating read. However Im a bit stuck with where to start and have some questions just minor that have sprung to mind whilst reading through the book and this forum. Im sure allot is proably covered so even if you can help point me in the right direction it would be appreciated...I have started gathering info and when putting this lifestyle into context these things have "popped" into my mind, Im also looking for maximum results :

What is the best book (books) to start with that will give me an indepth analysis and straghtforward advice?
    I really dont know where to start on this site - have read some of the beginners stuff but keep getting lost, any advice on places on the site to target?
    Do you have a stricter/quick start approach to the first 30/60 days and then adapt? ANy meal plans etc?
    Carbs - do you have any that dont come from veg and fruit etc? e.g can you have a spoonfull of rice/1 potato? or leave altogether?
    Dairy - Im not huge on dairy anyway but do like yoghurt now and then, or some cheese with lunch and I do drink massive amounts of tea with skimmed milk - do I need to drop this altogether?
    Fitness - I havent deleved into the fitness section too much as yet. Im due to run 4 miles in July and have not trained in any way for a long time. Any tips on how best to build up running and general fitness with the aim of losing weight?
    Food related - Is mince ok to have (beef/lamb)? For Uk people - do you have a replacement for recipes like shepherds pie? Can I use gravy/oxo cubes still?
    Alcohol - how do people get on with this? I have a drink a couple of times a week - sometimes more sometimes less, have you changed what you drink/cut it out all together etc Im a larger drinker mainly, sometimes wine.

Last but not least if there are any smokeres (ex) who have managed to give up as a part of this lifestyle I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks for reading my massive essay and as I said Im sure allot of info is here already so if you just want to point me in the right directions thats fine, would be good to hear others experiences personal opinions on the above also.

Cheers
    Claire

EggbertHeadleton is offline Junior Member
    Too many questions to respond to all of them. I would suggest reading Mark's book Primal Blueprint.

I can answer the questions about smoking and drinking as they apply to me.

Smoking- The more high intensity workouts and sprinting you do the more you are brought face to face with what you are doing to your lungs. This can be good or bad. For me it was good because it made me want to quit smoking (which I did) but the opposite is also true; smoking can make you not want to sprint or do high intensity workouts.

Alcohol- The more I drink the slower my weight loss is.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    First off Hi and Welcome.
    If you haven't signed up for the daily newsletter from this site I'd do that, pretty much covers the basics over 7 days, and there are links galore for further reading if you want to delve deeper. There is a Primal Blue Print 101 start guide on this site too, worth a read, that should get you going, the rest you can pick up as you go along.
    Now I will give my take on your questions

Quote Originally Posted by cwbearster View Post
    What is the best book (books) to start with that will give me an indepth analysis and straghtforward advice? -

[I]Dunno just mainly read this site and some of Robb Wolf's stuff (Paleo stuff which is Sticter than primal - ie no dairy)[/I]

I really dont know where to start on this site - have read some of the beginners stuff but keep getting lost, any advice on places on the site to target?
    See above

Do you have a stricter/quick start approach to the first 30/60 days and then adapt? ANy meal plans etc?
    I didn't and still lost loads of weight, meant to do it over a few weeks, but went fully primla over about 2, didn't get carb flu (bonus) basically I cut out bread and most flour one week, then did pasta and sugar then next week, was ment to start cutting out legumes etc later, but just didn't want them so didn't eat them. You can do a thing called the Whole 30 where you go really strict for 30 days, but IMHO you are more likely to stickt to something if you ease yourself in and find your comfort level, you can always do the Whole 30 later

Carbs - do you have any that dont come from veg and fruit etc? e.g can you have a spoonfull of rice/1 potato? or leave altogether?
    I personnaly don't have any rice or potates, they are dull anyway it's just what you add that tastes nice, if you are lean and working out then rice or white potatoes are fine in moderation. I don't eat much fruit now, maybe the odd banna in stuff, no more than 2 a week, I had an apple yesterday and that was the first bit of fruit that wasn't berries for ages, I have berries maybe once every 2 days on average, maybe less, but I found myself cutting down fruit naturally as I ate more meat and fat, I used to sometimes eat 5 servings of fruit a day

Dairy - Im not huge on dairy anyway but do like yoghurt now and then, or some cheese with lunch and I do drink massive amounts of tea with skimmed milk - do I need to drop this altogether?
    [Go for full fat greek yogert, add berries for flavour, there are pro-biotics in it that are good for you, just avoid the sugary low fat stuff, it don't fill you up, good cheese is fine in moderation (UK cheese is good compared to what they call cheese in the USA) again full fat, brie, farmhouse chedder etc, just don't go mad on it, it is satsifying though, I think you will get less of a sugar spike and insulin response if you switch to full fat milk. Bare in mind that some people find that weight loss stalls if they have dairy so you may need to cut it out in the future, but in the initail phase you will probably be fine, I'm on red bush without milk, green tea and black coffee now and I prefere it, still have some cheese and yogert though

Fitness - I havent deleved into the fitness section too much as yet. Im due to run 4 miles in July and have not trained in any way for a long time. Any tips on how best to build up running and general fitness with the aim of losing weight?
    Do what you enjoys is the most important thing, and walk a lot. I ran 3 miles easily without any training other than weekly sprint session in under 2 months of training, you could also look at couch to 5k, IMHO sprinting and walking works better for increasing endurace than jogging, at least it has for me

Food related - Is mince ok to have (beef/lamb)? For Uk people - do you have a replacement for recipes like shepherds pie? Can I use gravy/oxo cubes still?
    Mince is fine, it's 100% meat, lamb is pretty much always grass fed, organic meat in the UK has to be mostly grass fed, I go for cheep high fat mince, it tastes best and is more satsifying. Use swet potatoe, or mixed root veg mash for shepard's pike (carrots, sweeds, parsnips)

Alcohol - how do people get on with this? I have a drink a couple of times a week - sometimes more sometimes less, have you changed what you drink/cut it out all together etc Im a larger drinker mainly, sometimes wine.
    I don't really drink, but that's my choice, larger is grains so you may find that starts to disagree with you, plus it's full of crap, get some real ale if you must go for beer, cider would be better IMHO for a pint, wine would the better choice, bare in mind it's carbs and calories that don't fill you up, but life is for enjoying so if it's your thing then no-one is going to nail you to a wall for it

Last but not least if there are any smokeres (ex) who have managed to give up as a part of this lifestyle I would appreciate any advice you have.
    Ex smoker, gave up years ago, coz I wanted too and wanted kids so didn't want to be a smoking daddy, no advice other than to keep trying and it's the best thing you can do for your health so good luck
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I would only like to chime in and say:
    since you say you have a lot of weight to lose, I'd advice you to avoid the starchy carbs for the time being.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Just on the smoking, I was a 30+ a day smoker for 30 years. I found giving up impossible, largely due to having a very stressful job & working from home, so no restrictions on lighting up all day every day. Then a couple of months ago I got an e-cigarette (Riva 1100), & became a non-smoker instantly without any cravings.

OK it's still not the healthiest habit you could pick, but it is infinitely better than real cigs as you're no longer breathing in smoke & the thousands of chemicals you get from burning tobacco. I highly recommend you give one a go if all else has failed.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Prevent all of the following diseases by simply adding iodine with required supplements to your diet:

* Aches and pains, vague (1) * Asthma (13)
    * Brittle Nails (12) * Candida(4)
    * Cholesterol levels increased (1) * Cysts of skin, breast & ovaries (2,9)
    * Cold intolerance (cold hands & feet) (1) * Concentration decreased [brain fog] (1)
    * Constipation (1) * Depression (1)
    * Diabetes (4) * Dry, coarse hair (1)
    * Dry skin (1) * Dry Mouth
    * Dry Eyes * Excessive sleepiness (1)
    * Fatigue (1) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome * Fibromyalgia (4)
    * Fluid Retention (4) * Graves’ Disease (4)
    * Hair Loss (10) * Headaches (11)
    * Heart rate slowing (1) * Hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, Hashi’s (4, 9)
    * Immune system reduced function (4) * Insomnia (4)
    * Keloids (9) * Memory Poor (12)
    * Miscarriages & Low Baby IQ * Mental Retardation
    * Muscle Cramps, Pain (1,4) * Parotid duct stones.(12) * Puffiness around the eyes (1) * Stomach Problems
    * Sweating reduced or gone(1) * Swelling of the legs (edema) (1) * Temperature drop in body temp (1) * Thyroid cysts (Goiters) (2,3) * Weakness (12) * Weight gain (1)
    THERE ARE MUCH MORE - 181 Symptoms ! ! ! Consequences of Iodine Deficiency
    Symptoms from SEVERE Iodine Deficiency
    CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR LICENSED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL.
    * Migraine headaches (5,6) * Painful periods/heavy periods (5,6)
    * Pelvic pain (5,6) * PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) (5,6)
    * Endometriosis (5,6) * Fibroid Tumors (5,6)
    * Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) (5,6) * Breast pain (fibrocystic tissue) (5,6)
    * Cancers in female breasts & organs (5,6) * Lung Cancers (13)
    * Prostate problems including Cancer (7,8) * testicular cancer (7,8)
    * Thyroid Cancers * Erectile Dysfunction
    1) Iodine Therapy
    (2) Thyroid Cyst Symptoms | eHow.com
    (3) Iodine Cures
    (4) Iodine Therapy
    (5) Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD - YouTube
    (6) Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
    (7) Cancer and Iodine - The Iodine Project
    (8) Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic
    (9) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
    (10) Iodine and Hair Loss: Is There A Connection? | Natural Health & Organic Living Blog
    (11) Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
    (12) Iodine deficiency symptoms and benefits | Foods containing Iodine | Overdose Symptoms
    (13) Dr. David Derry Answers Reader Questions -- Asthma and Thyroid Hormones
    Complete instructions here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz

keepsafe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Claire,
    I'm new here too, this is actually my first post.
    I just finished reading Marks book "The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan". It's a great introduction to the concepts and there's a 21 day journal with challenges and tips at the end. Good luck and I'll watch for your posts.
    Mickey