Thread: I'm just not a breakfast kind of guy page

Brewtality Guest

Primal Fuel

Is it just me? I thought that switching to PB would make me more likely to eat a big hearty breakfast. I still dont want it. I eat 2 times per day, usually only 1 time per day on weekends. I would say that its no big deal, because I am not hungry, but I dont think I get hungry. I can't recall ever being truly hungry, and I have gone days with no food with no ill effects.

I guess I have never been a breakfast eater... or for that matter much of a lunch eater. I never ate either in highschool, and rarely ate them in college.

I know that intermitent fasting can be good, but is this way of living out of hand? I eat supper around 5:00 PM, and then nothing until the next day at noon. So that is 19 hours with nothing. I just wonder if this may have something to do with me being a hard gainer. Is this keeping me from making real gains in the muscle department? Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

lesliek is offline Member

I'm trying to lose fat at the moment, not gain muscle, but I never eat breakfast either. I heard something about a chemical release while you sleep that makes you not hungry in the morning (I suppose this would be useful if you had to hunt/gather your food first). From what I understand, a 19 hour "fast" every day isn't abnormal. This is roughly what Dr. Harris of the PaNu blog does.

The only issue you'd have with gaining muscle, I think, is if you're not eating enough calories. It can be hard for some people to meet their caloric needs for this (sometimes 5,000k+) in one or two meals.

Greg B is offline Junior Member

Growth hormone is released in deep REM sleep, and can suppress appetite. I believe that's what you're thinking of, lesliek.

Brewtality Guest

Yeah, I have to eat alot when I eat. I am a 28, 5' 10 guy, and have always been 150-160 lbs. I am not skinny, but I just dont put on much mass. It may be the not eating enough thing.

Oh well, woah as me, I may have to start wrapping all of my meats with bacon.

Best answer to any thread ever. Thank you.

I did a little digging, and that makes a lot of sense and is likely what I heard before, Greg B. It helps explain why my appetite is suppressed after lifting as well. Thanks for giving me the heads up. "The secretion of human growth hormone during REM sleep" sounds more sophisticated than "some chemical release while you sleep."

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Going 19+ hours in between feedings is not abnormal. However if you are trying to GAIN WEIGHT this is usually not the best strategy. And you have things backwards - you do not have a small appetite because you are a "hardgainer", you are a "hardgainer" because you have a small appetite, and thus don't eat enough to give your body a reason to become bigger.

I was never a breakfast guy either - which is perfectly fine for maintenance or weight loss - but for those of us who want to become bigger and stronger, it is simply not going to happen on its own without encouragement (i.e. a progressive strength training regimen and excessive food intake). Learning to eat in the morning is a good way to stretch your appetite so you can tolerate excessive food intake. It is not fun but if you want to give your body a reason to get bigger and stronger you need to learn to buck up and eat more.

I love it when my little brother shows me up. Thanks, Mike. :P

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

nah, I don't think it's bad or unhealthy but if you WANT to gain weight you should probably make an effort... for me if I eat something carby like a banana before bed, I wake up hungrier than if my last meal/snack was fatty/proteiny. You could try that and then maybe you'd wake up hungry.

Though, if you're like me you'll eat a good breakfast, be full, and not want lunch. hahahaha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

To ad to what flynavywife said, if you have trouble eating breakfast you can also try eating a small but carby meal early in the morning. Even if it is not much food, breaking your fasted state by eating can help to "wake-up" your appetite so you can stomach eating more later in the day.

I have had a fair amount of success (165 to 190 in 4 months) with eating strategies like these.