Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAD Spouse page

JudiO is offline Junior Member

SAD Spouse

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    I'm new to Primal and loving it already.

My biggest worry is my husband. He'll eat (and cook) primal meals with me but will also go out and get a sandwich (on a white roll, of course) and chips every day for lunch. He has high cholesterol and blood pressure (and on meds for both) and I'm a little worried about the effects all the fat will have on him if he's still consuming refined carbs. Please don't tell me to make him change. People will do what they want to do, and I have no interest in "forcing" him to do something he isn't interested in.

One idea I had was to try to stick to lower fat meals with him and get more fats for myself in my other meals, but he's loving the fact that I'm suddenly cooking with bacon. I think I've used more bacon in the last month, than I have in the prior year!

Thanks for any insight into this.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You're new to this. Give him time to catch up, and be patient in the meantime
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I'm having the same issue with my guy. He will eat the foods I make, but he always has some kind of refined carb with it, and he eats a lot of candy as well. I have talked to him about going Primal, but he said he's not interested. Meanwhile, he's eating all this fat with carbs.......it makes me worry and I don't know how to change it.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My partner is also on the SAD and prefers seafood and chicken so that's what I make for dinner most of the time. Sometimes I can get away with pork chops or steak, but not daily. I use breakfast as my time to consume those items he won't, like organ meats. Overall I don't really eat much high-fat stuff anymore. I'll add butter to veggies while he will eat his plain and steamed. I'm not really that into bacon but when we go out for breakfast I'll get bacon and eggs and he'll get a pastry. He's gone for the next couple of weeks so I'm going to live it up with the grassfed beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sforsyth is offline Junior Member
    Over time my husband gradually started to eat less refined carbs at home, mostly because there weren't many in the house. It has been 1.5 years and now he doesn't feel that is plate is empty when it is missing rice or pasta. I tried 'encouraging' him - you are right - it doesn't work! I do the cooking and he eats it. I have no idea what he does outside the house, and i try not worry about it because it is out of my control. He could stand to lose about 20lbs. The good news is that he hasn't gained weight from the extra fat. The bad news is that he hasn't lost any either! So my hope is that eating primal at home has not adversely effected him. Any meal without grains is better than a meal with, so just treat each meal you serve as a small step in the right direction!
    I would say try not to worry too much because there isn't anything you can do to change another person other than lead by example.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My husband goes out to lunch also. It is the managers time to sort of catch up with each other, and it gets him out of the building which he needs.

But when he is home, he eats what I eat cuz I fix it. He still likes to drink a few beers in the evening, a few more on the weekends and he likes something crunchy on weekends, so he still snacks sometimes, but not like before. Before I found primal, I was trying meatless meals, things like bean burgers, etc and he ate them, but he didnt care for that phase. He kept asking, where's the meat?

As I keep losing weight & feeling better, it inspires him to do what I do. I slip in information here and there, why I do this or why I do that. Or I say I have learned/read this or that. I am trying to lead by example And he has lost 20 pounds. I am at 43.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I'm a bit worried about that with my husband as well, I've been Primal for 6 months (I cleaned out the cabinet/fridge then, so anything eaten at home is primal--that was our deal) and while I have lost over 20 lbs. my husband has actually gained weight during that time because he still eats SAD on his lunch breaks at work or if we eat out. He doesn't have the bad effects from eating SAD that I do, so his motivation hasn't been as great. Thankfully he is planning to start being 80/20 Primal next week. I haven't given him a hard time--the past few weeks he's quit smoking, cut back drinking, started a workout routine, and he wants the last step to be going Primal.

I wish I had advice--I didn't realize how much my husband had gained until we started weighing ourselves and tracking our workout routine. The combo of the high fat cooking I do and the crap he eats elsewhere certainly did not work well. Maybe steam his veggies, and add a bit of crumbled bacon? Buy him lean conventional meat, and you grass-fed? I honestly have no idea.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I don't think most people would eat half the stuff they do if they could really understand what it does to their bodies. And I think they would want to eat better food if they understood what positive effects it would have on them. Just hearing the term "it's bad for you" or that something is "good for you" is meaningless to most people. My husband and I took two books on vacation to read at the pool: Deep Nutrition and Primal Body-Primal Mind. When we read these we had no desire to eat sugary foods or seed oils like canola oil etc again! We wanted to go out and buy grass fed beef and GASP even liver, and we both detest the taste of liver. Once you stop looking at food as merely a source of energy or a pleasant diversion because food tastes good, it changes your entire outlook. You see it as the building blocks your body needs to repair and rejuvenate itself. You see food as life and health. How you get your husband to read a book like these is the question.

JudiO is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all! As long as I'm not doing him harm, I'm ok with that. I think I will try to cook ligher/leaner for the two of us, and get my extra fats in elsewhere. And who knows, he may come around on his own when he sees how great it is for me :-)

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiO View Post
    Thanks all! As long as I'm not doing him harm, I'm ok with that. I think I will try to cook ligher/leaner for the two of us, and get my extra fats in elsewhere. And who knows, he may come around on his own when he sees how great it is for me :-)
    I was just going to suggest this and stop making all the bacon. Traditional store bacon is full of sugar, processed, nitrates, nitrites, etc.. Don't get me wrong I LOVE bacon and in the beginning i ate a lot to. Now it is a treat for occasionally.. Damn now I want some bacon!

Anyway I think you have a good plan, make leaner meals that are shared with lots of veggies and healthy fat like avocado that he needs regardless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast