Thread: Vegetarian convert here page

Weedeater is offline Junior Member

Vegetarian convert here

Hi all, I've been doing this primal thing for a few weeks now with a lot of slips, and I'm ready to take it more seriously, so I figured I'd introduce myself. I came to primal because, after being a (happy) vegetarian for health reasons for 10 years, I found myself having to cook for my dear carnivore husband and got sick of prepping two meals three times a day. He's very much a SAD eater--absolutely nothing that isn't white or yellow, and no spices of any kind--and I've picked up about 15 pounds worth of his bad habits. 5 of that dropped in the last two weeks on an 80/20 plan, so even though I'm not a huge fan of meat I'm willing to give a stricter version a shot!

One thing I notice--I'm hungry a lot. I keep reading that you shouldn't be hungry eating primal, but I'm constantly starving. I feel like I have a good mix of protein and vegetables--I usually have a lean steak and a paperback-sized filet of salmon every day, plus 2-3 lbs of raw vegetables, mostly greens and celery, and nut butter with carrots as a snack. Plenty of olive oil. From the reading I've done, it's a good idea to keep the animal fat under control until I can find a source of grass-fed meat, right? I only walk 2-4 miles each day, and that's really the only exercise I get. Am I just not eating enough, or is this low-carb transitions? Thanks!

Michi is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you need more fat for sure. Since you've not found a good source for grass fed yet, maybe think about using coconut oil in your cooking? Also, it's no sin to eat conventional meat if that's all you can get. Is it ideal? No, but sometimes we have to make compromises. It's better than feeling hungry all the time! US Wellness ships directly to you, so that is an option I suppose. Also check out Eat Wild and Local Harvest (links under resources on this site) to find local sources of grass fed and pastured critters that have been treated well. Good luck!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michi View Post
    Sounds like you need more fat for sure. Since you've not found a good source for grass fed yet, maybe think about using coconut oil in your cooking? Also, it's no sin to eat conventional meat if that's all you can get. Is it ideal? No, but sometimes we have to make compromises. It's better than feeling hungry all the time! US Wellness ships directly to you, so that is an option I suppose. Also check out Eat Wild and Local Harvest (links under resources on this site) to find local sources of grass fed and pastured critters that have been treated well. Good luck!
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Agreed! I find that when I eat more fat, I feel full longer. I really LOVE avocado for fat too.

Skibikenrun is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am the same way. I'm 4 weeks into this now and I am snacking constantly! I don't worry about how much I eat but soon after meals I'm hungry again. Personally I don't buy the whole protein leaves you full thing and may just be me. But I used to be able to eat 2 slices of toast with some cheese and be satisfied......I can't seem to eat enough now. I did this more for health not weight loss as I'm an athlete, and consequently haven't lost any weight either, but I didn't want to. But that tells me I'm eating enough but I don't like this constant hunger feeling as I think it makes it easier to want to cheat.