Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-op Primal journal page 2

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks like my thread has it's very own spammer. Joy...

Yet another day of intestinal distress, it's amazing how much something like this can drain you. I went back to bed after getting DH and DD out the door, and slept until 11am, which is very unusual for me. I wish my doc appointment were sooner, but I'll take what I can get.

Brunch - bulletproof coffee (Americano, tbsp. Kerrygold, tsp. coconut oil)

Late lunch - leftover salmon patties, green peas

Snack - made DD and her friend some popcorn after school. Non-GMO kernels, popped in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove in a mix of clarified butter and coconut oil. DD had never seen popcorn popping and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I had a handful because it smelled so good, but could tell quickly that my stomach was not going to like it and stopped.

Dinner - 3.25 lb. pastured chicken in the oven, butter/smoked paprika/garlic rubbed under the skin. Leftover veggies from throughout the week. Will make stock with the carcass.

Still dealing with stomach and gut pain, starting to wonder if I have an ulcer because having an empty stomach (or pouch in my case) is painful. Dinner yesterday was cod, seasoned with S&P and garlic powder and then dusted with coconut flour and pan fried. Served with oven roasted broccoli and cauliflower, I could only eat the cauliflower.

Breakfast - Earth Fare thick sliced bacon, nibbled on through the morning hours

Lunch - chicken and rice (I will fully admit that the stomach pain has me seeking neutral carbs)

Snack - raw, grass-fed Jersey cow milk kefir with a few drops of stevia to soothe my empty stomach while I cooked dinner

Dinner - pan seared and oven finished grass-fed sirloin tips, green beans, and scalloped sweet potatoes. (by scalloped, I mean I sliced them thin on the mandoline, then baked them in the oven in a sauce of heavy cream, butter, cinnamon, and a pinch of ground ginger.) The sweet potatoes were a bit much and mine are still sitting there waiting to be a late dessert or something, if I eat them at all.

Also, I'm thrilled that yesterday the doc's office called and they have an opening, so I'm going on Monday rather than Friday.

I don't mean to be so much of a negative Nancy, but I'm not having happy awesome Primal time right now, and it's a bit frustrating because I know that the anatomy I was so excited to have altered 8 years ago is why I'm having these problems now. If anyone here who happens to be considering gastric bypass reads this, I do NOT recommend it. Go Primal. Realize why what you're eating is wrong. I was a "model" patient according to my surgeon in Alabama, but that took just as much willpower as dieting did. Sure, it helps that I get horribly sick if I eat more than 10 grams of sugar, and even eating bread/rice/pasta made me feel like hell, but it's not worth it. If anything, my altered anatomy just punctuated intolerances that I already had. Serious buyers remorse here.

My new gastroenterologist is awesome. While I had to drive about an hour and 1/2 to see him, having a doctor that understands Primal/Paleo (and is paleo himself) is worth it. Instead of giving me a prescription for a PPI before doing any tests like most GI docs I've seen, he scheduled tests (an ultrasound and an EGD) and he recommended trying to repopulate my gut flora using homemade fermented foods/drinks first before going the antibiotic route. He's also familiar with the area farm that I got the raw milk kefir (for my cat) from. I have a friend overnighting a homemade kombucha scoby, so I'll be on my way with that soon.

Breakfast - Americano with raw cream (out of Kerrygold, going to the store today), 1 piece of thick-cut bacon, pastured egg, small amount of raw kefir to pad my stomach while taking my morning supplements.

Lunch - not sure, out of leftovers and low on most everything. I may stop by Panera while I'm out since they have their new "secret menu".

Dinner - I just threw a pound of grassfed ground beef in the fridge to thaw. I have a spaghetti squash and some sauce, so I guess I'm making the obvious.

I'm still here, I was sick over the weekend along with the rest of my family, thankfully it passed pretty quickly. Dentist finished my root canal yesterday, so my jaw is pretty achy. I have the EGD tomorrow, while my ulcer/SIBO symptoms have almost cleared up completely with just the kefir, kombucha, etc. I still need to be checked because of my Barrett's Esophagus. My diet has been so-so lately, I need to stop buying rice not just because I cave and end up eating it, but because my preschooler will gorge on it and not eat her meat/veggies. She gets plenty of good carbs elsewhere (fruit, veggies) so I don't think taking it out of our diet will hurt. I'm also back on the conventional heavy cream in my coffee, I bought it to make chicken tikka masala and have been using the remains. BP coffee is so stupidly easy though, so I have no excuse.

No stats, I'm not going to weigh myself until after I get things under control again.

Breakfast - Americano w/heavy cream and chocolate flavored stevia drops. Not really hungry yet.

Lunch - Possibly some leftover Thai coconut curry chicken soup. Hoping that the coconut milk doesn't go wonky with freezing/reheating.

Dinner - Just put out some grassfed ground beef to thaw, I'm thinking chili.

I'm back, it was a busy few weeks with traveling and such, so I didn't have much time to pop on the forums or update my journal. I did finally get my EGD biopsy results--still have Barrett's, but it's not changed, so that's good. The gut issues are mostly gone, though I relied on storebought fermented goods to fix it. I did finally get a hold of a scoby to start my own kombucha though, plan to get that brewing tomorrow.

One major development is that our daughter is showing symptoms of gluten intolerance. We started a gluten-free challenge a week ago and the rash on her elbows (which looks like dermatitis herpetiformis) is improving, but not completely gone, likely due to grandparent slip-ups (barley in the vegetable soup) and crackers at a friend's house. I was accidentally glutened on our anniversary trip--we were beat from driving all day so we ordered room service from the hotel restaurant for dinner, the seafood and veggies were great but the portions paltry so I ate some of what the menu said was white rice...nope, it was rice-a-roni. Our room was dimly lit, so I didn't notice until it was too late. So instead of hang-gliding, I instead had to make sure we didn't venture too far from restrooms the next day. ::sigh:: It was still a good trip though, and I had an amazing duck breast and confit at a nice restaurant the following night that made up for the rice-a-roni. My husband's lamb shank was delectable as well...that was probably the best meal we've had in years.

I'm going to get back to journaling next week, it's been a transition week for us--getting back into our routine, keeping the little one strictly GF without starving her, etc. Conventional meat (lean), rice, and potatoes have been on the menu more than I'd usually allow, but we're in a budget crunch and having to make do with what we can get. Haven't gained weight, but haven't lost any either. ::sigh:: I plan on logging my calories and keeping the carbs down starting Monday though. Got the kombucha started, really hope the SCOBY is healthy. It came from a refrigerated kit at the health food store, which was a little past it's sell-by date so it was 75% off. Once payday is here, I plan on ordering an airlock for mason jars and starting some sauerkraut too.

The little one's rash is finally clearing up, though the scarring is pretty bad. She looks like she has vitiligo on her elbows, the color difference is so stark. Still, I'll take that over her not being able to sleep because her elbows itch so horribly. Her digestion is much better, I didn't realize how much it affects her--I haven't had to help her in the bathroom (loose stools) or wash skidmark undies in weeks. She lost weight during the month we were giving her gluten too (even though she was eating more food), hoping to see that come back soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12