Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cholesterol and sunshine page 2

billp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Billp, it's very hard to know if
    - you were attracted to the sun because of your cholesterol, or because you've been reading and thinking about the sun and enjoying it
    - your dietary cholesterol has even increased your circulating cholesterol
    - the vegetarian had low cholesterol
    - the vegetarian avoided sun because of that, or because he thought it was bad for him, or he's less accustomed to sun exposure.

Not to mention antioxidants. It's my understanding that antioxidants in the skin act as a defense against burning. There's more room for speculation about people's relative levels of that too.
    Also, the vegetarian has red hair. I think red headed people do burn more easily / tan harder.

I spent the last four days in Antwerp. One long cheat. Hotel breakfast of reconstituted sandwich "meat" and bread, latter waffles with fake cream and HFCS, sugary sweets, lots of beer every evening. I started off resolute, but after a day I started to get hungry, and being resolute is not easy with a hangover. I did mostly avoid things I knew to be made of veg oil, but I definitely had some. Low meat, because it is insanely expensive when you are eating out there, and even the most expensive steak is only 1lb (I normally manage double that) and low fat. So I went with it. Fun is more important.

Had my first real food again yesterday evening. Today I do not enjoy being in the sun at all. I ended up sitting under a tree. I think it was after two days of touristy eating than I lost my taste for sunlight and started crossing to the shady side of the street. Now I am eating meat and animal fat again I expect the taste will come back in a few days.

Did manage to walk and run barefoot all over Antwerp, which earned my some off looks but no actual comments. I can now walk bare foot slowly on gravelly park paths, and walk normally and run on any kind of paved surface. Feels great! No glass cuts but did step on the odd bit and scratch my foot slightly on a rusty nail. No harm done.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Billp, it's very hard to know if
    - you were attracted to the sun ... because you've been reading and thinking about the sun and enjoying it
    This - for everyone - including me.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Wow great post, I have been wondering the same thing. I was a sun worshipper as a kid when I still ate meat then later as a teen was more vegetarian and developed kind of an aversion. In recent years since I added meat back I've wanted to be outside more but I worry about wrinkles etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    This - for everyone - including me.
    I have to say that for me it seems directly related to diet. Full stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Wow great post, I have been wondering the same thing. I was a sun worshipper as a kid when I still ate meat then later as a teen was more vegetarian and developed kind of an aversion. In recent years since I added meat back I've wanted to be outside more but I worry about wrinkles etc.
    I wonder if you would get the wrinkles or the leathery look if you have enough dietary cholesterol. Could it be only when combined with too little? Either way I think it is better to be wrinkled and healthy, but guys are able to get away with the grizzled look better so I have less to lose.

It has been four days since I started paleo style eating again. Am happy in the sun again. I wouldn't say I am craving it but I am definitely not seeking shade any more. I didn't think about it too much today as I was too busy cutting the grass and nursing my slightly unreliable lawnmower. I think I enjoyed it though. Tan is coming along nicely.
    Last edited by billp; 06-02-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Here's the thing - you never really know WHY people do what they do, sometimes even if they tell you. It's all a guess.

Me? I have blue eyes, so I have to either be in the shade or wearing sunglasses because it just plain hurts my eyes. Plus I don't want more wrinkles from the squinting. I work outside in the desert, so I wear sunglasses all freaking day long, 5 days a week. On the weekends, the last thing I want is to be out in that damn sun for even more hours, giving me an even more bizarre tan than I've already got, so I probably look like I'm some camel spider desperately seeking shade. But it has nothing to do with how I eat.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Living where you do it is very hard for you to get too little sunshine no matter what you eat. Not so in colder climates. With your routine sun exposure and the brighter dessert sun I think you would be unlikely to ever crave it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12