Thread: Sweet Potato Frys page

rayray is offline Junior Member

Hello all I am new to this style of eaten, so much that I have been doing this for 1 week today. I really like how it is not called a diet. I have been able to stick with it so far without really missing stuff I always ate. Garbage as it was, I now have more energy now than i have in a long time, Ive also lost 7.5 lbs. Im not limiting myself in the meat area, by this I eat beef, fish, chicken, pork bacon, lingucia, and more vegetables than ive eaten in 10 years. I eat a little fruit. Ive tried some of the recipes hear, energy bars and almond pancakes, my question is, is there a sweet potato fry recipe I thought I seen it, but it eludes me. If it is primal please let me know

Brewtality Guest

Sweet potatos are considered occasional indulgences I believe. I like one two weeks or so. They make great fries, and I doubt you really need a recipe for them.

Just cut one into fry-like strips, and fry it in coconut oil. Keep them to a small amount in the pan at a time, or they will do more steaming than frying, and be soggy. Cook them at fairly high heat. If you want a little extra crunch, roll them around beaten up egg whites before you fry them, and salt them ahead of time so some of the moisture will draw out.

I couldnt find any recipes for fries, but I did find this one for chips, which is about the same thing. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/apple...-potato-chips/

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I just posted this, I think much better than "real" sweet potatoes: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t-Primal-Tuber

Sweet potato fries might be found pre-made in the frozen food section, the brand I've seen is Alexis or something similar. Very, very good.

Because of the high sugar content, I've personally found frying them rather difficult. One moment they are undercooked, then they turn black. Moreso chips than American style fries.

I would suggest lard before coconut oil due to the high temperatures involved. A lot cheaper, too.

bootson is offline Senior Member

I bake my SP fries... Make sure to cut them thick. I cut mine in circles, they are easier to deal with that way IME. Load them up with spices and olive oil, throw them on a baking sheet and bake on each side for like 20 minutes at like 400-450... Dang they are good.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

I used to make french fries with potatoes that turned out great. So I'm going to try sweet potato fries this weekend. The secret was to cut and soak the potatoes (although probably not necessary with sweet potatoes); fry them once in lard or duck fat (yum!) at medium temp; take them out, pat with paper towel and let rest for a few minutes; then fry again on higher heat to crisp them up.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

Agreed with bootson. I've tried to fry them in oil, but I think they come out better if you bake them.

I sprinkle cinnamon on them and usually coat the pan with Coconut oil or butter.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

I love SP "baked" fries. They are soooo good. I also sprinkle cinnamon on them and bake them in coconut oil. Yummmmy!!!

“Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

I like the boniato too. I was introduced to them last year. Good eating.

“Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

And another vote for boniato! Woo hoo!

anniegebel Guest

PrimalCon New York

I make what we call "Potato Chip Fries." I have used red potatoes and sweet potatoes, and both are good. I simply slice them thinly and toss them in oil and sprinkle with baby bam. I use the baby bam because it's not a hot seasoning mix but has lots of flavor. My kids like it...that's key!

The chip/fries come out crispy or softer, depending on how you like them and how thick they are.

Baby Bam Seasoning Mix:

3 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons dried parsley

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Mix together and store in airtight container for up to 3 months.