Thread: Pistachios... page

Kelmar is offline Senior Member

Pistachios...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Got this from Dr. Weil this morning, thought it was interesting....I love pistachios, and they have cute commericals too

Pistachios: Good for the Gut?

We know that pistachios contain heart-healthy fat, and overall, have a very good nutritional profile - one ounce (about 47 nuts) provides more fiber than a half cup of spinach. They're also good sources of vitamin B-6, thiamin, copper, phosphorus, and magnesium. Now, new findings suggest that pistachios have prebiotic characteristics as well, and can help support higher levels of potentially beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center in Maryland recruited 16 healthy volunteers to consume a calorie-controlled diet that included daily servings of 1.5 ounces of pistachios or almonds, three ounces of the nuts or no nuts. The researchers collected and analyzed stool samples during the study, and after 19 days found that the volunteers who ate up to 3 ounces of pistachios had indications of increased activity of beneficial bacteria in the gut. While the results are considered preliminary, they suggest that eating pistachios regularly may help develop and maintain normal, healthy levels of flora in the digestive tract.

tj_card is offline Member
    My brother(my go to guy for primal answers) told me not to eat very many pistachios!! He said it wasn't good for losing weight. True or false?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tj_card View Post
    My brother(my go to guy for primal answers) told me not to eat very many pistachios!! He said it wasn't good for losing weight. True or false?
    Well they are high in fat, thus high in calories as well. So too many added to whatever else you are already eating may impede fat loss. I love them but if eat more than a small handful at a time, I get a gout attack that can last for days or even weeks! Nothing else does this too me. It is a trigger of some kind for me. So its easy enough. No pistachio binges for me!!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ +1. Lower-calorie sources of probiotics such as yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut are more beneficial, especially for anyone trying to lose weight.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    They're great in moderation. Hubby and I split a bag once every 2-3 months. We stick to macadamia nuts most of the time, because of the better O3:O6 ratio, but pistachios are definitely one of our faves.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

tj_card is offline Member
    When I do eat them I only eat them as a snack but usually by the handful....and I have gorilla hands oops!