Thread: Paleo for 6 Weeks - Autoimmune Issues page

Guitar_grrrl is offline Junior Member

Paleo for 6 Weeks - Autoimmune Issues

Primal Fuel
    Hi, everyone (waving enthusiastically)! I jumped on the Paleo/Primal wagon on March 14, 2012. I'm a 54 year old woman dealing with Multiple Sclerosis. On a train ride home from my Dad's, riding with my sister, I noticed on the way there, and back, I had a cookie, and was almost knocked over with my usual "hit the wall" fatigue that I get a couple of times/day. My sister had noticed this before I did, and I mentioned that I was thinking of going on a Paleo diet to see if it made any difference at all. I had seen Terry Wahl's TED talk, and I was interested, but not in 9 cups of kale/day! Mark's blog made things a whole lot more accessible to me, and I've been reading it daily since Day One!

I figure I'm about 86%(+) Paleo - I have 2-3 "cheater" meals/week. I've completely eliminated dairy. I never got along with fresh dairy, anyway. I do tolerate cheese, yogurt, butter, but I want to add those in later - maybe... All grains, legumes, sugar - gone!

I've lost 8 lbs so far! I have another 15 to go, and I'm being really patient with myself. I have some mobility issues, so things may come off more slowly than other Grok Stars, but that said, here's what I can do:
    Road Biking (Easier than walking. 10-20 miles, 1-2 times/week).
    Walking/hiking (need to rest after about 500 yds.).
    Yoga (been practicing since I was 12!).
    Lifting Heavy Things (my plank is improving, I can do a few squats, my pull-up is nowhere, yet).

During summer months, I enjoy whitewater kayaking and rafting, and swimming. I prefer live bodies of water to pools, but I'll take what I can get.

Now- after just 6 weeks Primal, my energy is improving! I still hit the wall a couple of times/day, but it doesn't seem as intense. I don't think this is just placebo effect, either

I'd love to meet others dealing with autoimmune issues. MS is thought to be autoimmune, but there is still a lot of mystery surrounding causes, origins, mechanisms, etc. Mitochondrial dysfunction seems like a logical place for me to start.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Once you get settled into this way of living, add bone broth, organ meats, fermented foods, and lots more veggies. Way to go on finding something that is making you feel better and good luck! :-)
    Last edited by jkr; 05-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Guitar_grrrl is offline Junior Member
    I've taken on the NomNomPaleo suggestion - half the plate grass fed meat (or fish/seafood), the other half veggies, and water. It's not that hard! I love fermented foods, and enjoy kombucha on a regular basis (and not that sweetened stuff, either!).