Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The (new) social stigma against walking and standing... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

The (new) social stigma against walking and standing...

Primal Fuel
    As you all know, Mark's been on about the importance and health benefits of walking and even just standing instead of sitting and being sedentary all day. It's a simple, effective, and uncomplicated way to burn calories and increase bloodflow throughout the body as well as lowering blood preassure and cholesterol.

Here's the point of this thread however... Lately, I've taken to standing at my desk a lot more because my legs have been feeling stiff and cramped lately. I've noticed that my co-workers look at me funny when they see me doing this. Glances, leering stares even. Once I was asked, "how can you do that? It's not natural!"

Not natural? Standing? Walking? Stretching? No primalite would ever admit that!

When I do the same thing with my friends, say, we're playing a board game or cards around the table or something and my legs begin to feel stiff, I might stand up for a while. But, eventually, one or the other of them will invariably tell me "Will you sit the hell down? You're starting to make me nervous!"

I see people who, when a seat becomes available on the bus, and they are standing, will lunge for it and then get off AT THE VERY NEXT STOP. Do your legs hurt so bad that you have to sit down for approximately 30 seconds?

I have family members, friends, and co-workers who refuse to walk even to places a few blocks away! It really is a problem when you can't walk a few measly blocks.

So here's the gist of my post. Have any of you paleo/primalites noticed the same thing? Do you get strange stares and looks when you get up to take frequent stretch breaks, move around a bit, and get your blood flowing? Do your friends, family, or co-workers complain and moan about walking even to go just around the corner?

What's your opinion on this? I used to have a hard time imagining that there was a problem here. I mean, I've known about the SAD issues for a long time, also the lack of exercise. But it's only recently that I've seen the true extent of the issue around standing, walking, and even just stretching that I would NEVER have guessed before.

So, I'll stop here and let you all have your say. What say you?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    when i'm sitting and someone is standing within a few feet of me, it feels like they're looming so you're literally making that person nervous

as for the rest, just laziness for the most part
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I had a desk job for a while and always paced. I lasted less than a year.

Actually walking to a destination is a radical act, unfortunately. The state will be installing sidewalks on the main drag here and there was a vocal group in local gov't that was opposed.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    when i'm sitting and someone is standing within a few feet of me, it feels like they're looming so you're literally making that person nervous

as for the rest, just laziness for the most part
    How am I looming if I'm on the other freaking side of the table?

Besides, my legs are stiff! Is it really so socially unacceptable to stand when everyone else is sitting, even if your legs need to be stretched out a little bit?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes have people who are a bit puzzled by me standing, but I get more reaction when I choose to sit on the floor instead of on a sofa or chair. I find that on the floor I can sit more naturally and shift or move as I want. Most people are fine with it (in the context of a group social gathering for example) but some people get really pushy about offering a chair to me as soon as one is available.

I have a cushioned trunk in my living room, and I've been sitting on that for meetings at my place since it's basically an elevated floor, and that seems less disturbing to people than me choosing to settle in on the rug.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    I had a desk job for a while and always paced. I lasted less than a year.

Actually walking to a destination is a radical act, unfortunately. The state will be installing sidewalks on the main drag here and there was a vocal group in local gov't that was opposed.
    Radical indeed! Trying to convince your friends that you should walk the three blocks to the store and not drive is really draining. And it's a really busy store so parking is a bitch to begin with! Walking would avoid that!

Opposed a sidewalk so that people could walk? Dare I ask what their rational was?

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I sometimes have people who are a bit puzzled by me standing, but I get more reaction when I choose to sit on the floor instead of on a sofa or chair. I find that on the floor I can sit more naturally and shift or move as I want. Most people are fine with it (in the context of a group social gathering for example) but some people get really pushy about offering a chair to me as soon as one is available.

I have a cushioned trunk in my living room, and I've been sitting on that for meetings at my place since it's basically an elevated floor, and that seems less disturbing to people than me choosing to settle in on the rug.
    Oh wow. I get the same thing!

"Why are you on the floor man? Sit in a chair like a normal human being!"

But I find that sitting in chairs for long periods makes my legs uncomfortable and stiff! Oh, and I LIKE to walk too! *gasp shock and awe*

tizzo is offline Junior Member
    Ever since I started working out on a regular basis I find myself standing often at my desk instead of sitting. I get antsy sitting for more than 30 min. at a time. I've always paced up and down the department on long phone calls as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    Ever since I started working out on a regular basis I find myself standing often at my desk instead of sitting. I get antsy sitting for more than 30 min. at a time. I've always paced up and down the department on long phone calls as well.
    I work at a really small non-profit (REALLY small). Pacing around the office would probably bother them a bit, I understand that. But just standing up? I mean really... I'm still working and I'm right by my desk, not in anybody else's way!

tizzo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I work at a really small non-profit (REALLY small). Pacing around the office would probably bother them a bit, I understand that. But just standing up? I mean really... I'm still working and I'm right by my desk, not in anybody else's way!
    Is your desk set up for standing, or are you working hunched over the computer and standing? I could understand some people being weirded out if your desk isn't set up for standing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast