Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Study: High Circulating Oxidized LDL in Strength Trained Athletes page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Its an interesting pilot study, but obviously too many confounding variables to come up with any real insight.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Also take into account the bodybuilding community is HUGE into whey/casein protein. Whey/casein protein has A LOT of oxidized cholesterol, and many bodybuilders take it 1-2 times a day or more. And then there are all the crazy blogs that BAKE with already-oxidized cholesterol, which makes it even worse. Basically, you have a group of guys eating a whole lot of food, often poor food choices to put on mass and purposefully consuming oxidized cholesterol several times a day as a protein source.

But there's whey in yogurt as well right? Is that bad?
    I gave up whey protein months ago and it was a great decision. Now, I just eat yogurt and cottage cheese. They have almost the same nutrient profile as whey protein (pure protein with very little fat or carbs), but it's a whole food with no oxidized cholesterol, and it keeps you full for a long time.
    But there is whey in yogurt right?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    But there is whey in yogurt right?
    Yes, there is some. Less in Greek yogurt as more of it has been strained off. But whey powder is liquid whey which has been dehydrated, which will oxidize the cholesterol. From what little I understand, some whey powder is produced more "gently" so it isn't as bad for you. Liquid whey is only a problem if you're intolerant to dairy proteins. Oxidized cholesterol ingestion is bad no matter who you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12