Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you tell someone? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

What would you tell someone?

Primal Fuel
    Who weighs 210 lbs, and should weigh around 120-130 lbs.
    Would you just tell them to walk every day? Or would you tell them to LHT early on?

I see a lot where people who are new to losing weight, say they want to lose weight first by walking and clean eating, then want to "tone up" by lifting weights.
    This is silly CW right?
    Is there any benefit to not lifting weights till closer to a persons goal weight? There is really so much info out there, and it is quite confusing to a person really.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 05-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Can lifting weights impede a persons fat burning ability, especially when there is a lot to lose?

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I know that when I began Primal, I jumped into it all the way, full tilt. I followed the workouts in Primal Fitness as best I could. I did quite a bit of walking, a lot of playing (frisbee, war, soccer, ect), some jogging, sprinting at the end of the week, and lifting weights 2-3 times a week. I dropped about 40-50 pounds in the first 3 months doing that.

Walking is very important, but I think lifting weights a 2-3 times a week can't hurt. In my experience it really helped provide some variety in my workouts, because walking gets boring after a while. Being able to look forward to the days where I'd lift weights was a good motivator for me to deal with the boredom and not succumb to the "Eh, walking is boring, I'll take the day off" syndrome.

Days off are needed sometimes but boredom is a poor excuse in my mind to justify one.

My two cents.

EDIT: As to your other question, I don't think lifting weights would impede anything at all. In fact, I'd say it helped me tremendously. I was 266 when I started Primal in late July last year and by late October, I was down to 217ish. I was pretty strict with the diet early on though (I was pretty bad about self sabotage, so I didn't use the 80/20 rule at all. I did 97/3, lol).
    Last edited by trekfan; 05-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

The reason I am asking is because I have been primal for 6 months now, and had been doing Crossfit for about 4 months of that, but am stopping for various reasons (mostly injuries, I was going 5 days a week). And I now weigh about 5-6 kg more than when I began primal. I know its not because of how I eat (can break it down if need be).
    I find that dairy stalls me (cream in a couple of coffees a day), and I am trying very hard to quit.
    But I am just very frustrated, I am very very overweight, and primal seems to work so well for other people.
    I used to obsess about weighing and measuring and counting following CW. I don't want to go there again. It was working, but I never felt good. Health is more important to me now, but surely the damn scales have to move. Measurements go down for a while then stop for a while.
    Why does it seem to work so well for other people?

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Having the muscle definitely helps to burn the fat. But there is such thing as too much exercise. Crossfit is hard stuff- awesome stuff. But 5 days a week of that stresses your body out. Stress= cortisol and cortisol stalls weight loss. One of the reasons PB fitness works so well is that it mixes things up- there is lots of low level- non stress movement with quick bursts of effort and rest days included.
    Don't get discouraged by the scale. I've seen your pics Ayla. For what it's worth, I think you are progressing beautifully. Hang in there!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Thanks Kakes, I am just more frustrated because my youngest baby is 2 in a month, and I only weigh 7 kg less than my pre-pregnancy weight, and I just feel fat and unattractive, and my poor husband is missing out because of it.
    I feel good about my progress some days, but far out I am doing the best I can
    Is tracking my food really the answer here? Surely if it works when other people don't it can for me.
    Could that small amount of cream each day really stop my losing?
    I know in the beginning of going primal i overdid it on the fat, as I really craved it after going low fat for so long, but I don't know.
    I come on here, and read about leptin resistance, CT, and counting and this that and the other, and my head nearly explodes

2 years to lose 7 kg is a joke.
    Although following the CW way, I was 10 kg less than I am right now, then i kind of lost track a bit and went up 5 kg, and then found primal and now I am 5-6 kg more again.
    I stopped weighing for a while, but now I weigh daily again, and my weight is staying in the same 1 kg block, up and down every single day.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I'll trust that it's not diet, no need to break it down. You know what works for you and what doesn't by this point, having been at it for 6 months

I've never done Crossfit, or any regimented workout program of any sort, but I hear Crossfit is good. I don't know what exercises it involves but I imagine it covers pretty much everything?

As to why it works so well for other people...I don't know. I honestly don't, but I feel your frustration. I was there many times over my high school years where I would constantly try to lose weight (took Gym class voluntarily 3 out of the 4 years I was in high school, did nothing for me), I ate salads and avoided bad stuff (according to CW anyway) and it did nothing for me. I remember how utterly shitastic and pissed that felt, so I hear you.

I would recommend going back to basics. I've been focusing on that the last two weeks or so, getting back to basic Primal stuff fitness-wise, focusing more on playing/walking and less on regimented days where I would *have* to do something. I just let things go as they may and it's quite freeing to be honest not to have a day dedicated to any single workout from the get go but doing what appealed to me when I wanted to workout.

I would also look into sleep-it's hugely important as I found on in my Primal journey. The weeks where I got good sleep I lost more than the weeks I got shitty sleep. Are you sleeping well? If you aren't for some reason I'd look into trying to remedy that as best you can.

I also see that your measurements have gone down, which is good-that shows progress, right? Progress is a good thing.

If the scale hasn't moved at all, maybe it's broken? Or do you have another scale that can confirm or deny the validity of the first one?
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I think some of that works- if it makes sense to you, do it. If it stresses you out, there's your cortisol again. If I were you, I'd keep it simple. Eat healthy, eat well, make your body feel nourished, and take good care of yourself. Go "back to basics" as it were. You aren't going to be able to eat quite as much calorie wise as you were doing constant crossfit. Your body should adjust if you listen to it. It probably wouldn't hurt to track for a few days just to get a proper idea of how much food= how many calories. I only tracked my for about a week during my first month and some things surprised me. I made adjustments and then I just lived- without stressing about it.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have got a new set of scales. I smashed the first set at CrossFit :/
    It does move within the same 1kg, actually more like 2kg up and down every single day.
    Sleep is fine, I go to bed by 9pm at the latest these days, and have no trouble falling to sleep, and we are up before 6 am (have 2 kids that love to get up with daddy!).
    CrossFit is very varied, lots of strength, some cardio, different workouts everyday. 2 of my sessions each week were strength only though, but yes its very hardcore.
    I just truly feel sick about all this.
    Going back to basics is probably the best answer for now.
    I have been considering the leptin reset, but the thought of not exercising at all even for a little while, scares the crap out of me.
    I know I can do this, I just want to lose some weight
    Oh and to be sure about body fat, I am having another body comp scan in about 3 weeks (I had one 3 months ago too) so this will help me a little, well if I have lost some fat anyway.

Sorry about venting my frustration, but really have no-one to talk to about this right now, as my husband is at work, and my children are very young.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast