Thread: Is this even physically possible? Re: keto adaptation page

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member

Is this even physically possible? Re: keto adaptation

Shop Now
    I've cut my carbs down a bit to aid ADHD/depression issues and I'm having a brain foggy low carb flu.

My brain is kind of not great in terms of clear thinking, focus and concentration, motivation, complicated decision-making. I often sort of can't keep my eyes open. I space out, etc.*

But my exercise performance is fine. I don't do very hard exercise- just a lot of fairly brisk walking outside- but it's unchanged. If anything, it seems easier. That said, any sprints I throw in are definitely weaker, shorter and recovery is slower. But I'd think that long brisk walks needed more carbs than brain function.

So what the hell? Is it possible to have keto adapted muscles but not a keto adapted brain?

I'm not going from SAD to superlow carb. I'm going from:

100g-ish of, generally:
    fiber-y vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts etc: 40g
    raw salad veggies like tomatos, peppers, cucumber, mushrooms: 20g
    some leafy greens: 5g
    random bits from dairy, eggs, shellfish, tofu/tempeh: 10g
    Crapola in sugarfree stuff, 20%- 5g
    And since I don't count fiber grams and Mark does, I toss on an additional 20g.

To:

80g-ish of:
    leafy greens, seaweed: 10g
    raw salad veg: 20g
    random bits: 20g (due to more cheese and shellfish due to summer availability)
    crapola's the same: 5g
    Since I don't count fiber and I'm having more unsweetened cocoa: 25g

The goal is not to be superlow carb, perfectly paleo-adherent, to lose weight, anything to do with exercise or to get into ketosis per se. Just to improve my general brain-based life/work functioning. My body sure likes the lower carbs.

*My mood is ok. Brain stuff seems to improve once I switch from dopamine-based meds (wellbutrin, ritalin, tyrosine) to serotonin-based ones (trazodone, tryptophan). But that's normal for me as my brain is weaker in dopamine-driven stuff and slightly better (though still requiring meds) in serotonin-based stuff. I don't have headaches or other low carb flu stuff.

I get that I just have to tough it out, so I'm not posting to complain. I'm just curious. Seems counterintuitive to me.
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 05-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Dunno that small of a change happens to me several times a week without notice. I would encourage you to use plenty of coconut oil though if your trying to be ketogenic for the improved mental clarity.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I'm using some, but I could use more. Can't hurt. Thanks.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

rlzaleski is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    I'm using some, but I could use more. Can't hurt. Thanks.
    Did the Coconut oil help? I just tried mixing it into my morning yogurt this morning (Greek with minimal carbs and doctored up with Cream and Oil. I get this fatigue too, but I'm starting to learn it's more from a lack of eating enough. Instead of eating because I'm hungry, I tend to eat because I'm tired.

Protien seems to help me too.