Thread: Counting Fat, Carbs and Protein - new device "profatcarbinator" page

trevork is offline Junior Member

Counting Fat, Carbs and Protein - new device "profatcarbinator"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I am eating Primally, but there is sooo much information on counting that it makes my head explode.
    Just how are you supposed to know how much Fat, or Protein, or Carbs you are eating per day - and, don' t say use one of those sites like fitday etc, cause that's another painfully detailed process.

Anybody else not have an idea of their daily numbers? The general assumption seems to be that you know exactly what 60 g of carb per day looks like when looking at the actual food...and just how big is a 'medium' avocado anyway?

I wish I had a "profatcarbinator" that could measure a plate of food and spit out the count!

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    You will get used to macro contents of most food you eat on a regular basis. If you research micro nutrient composition like I have get ready for even more details . I don't track it too thoroughly but I am in a pretty good spot right now health wise and have good idea of what I like. If you are coming from an unhealthy position I think learning the numbers can be an important step in getting healthy and overall involvement.

Of course the main important rules are avoiding processed foods, grains, and oils. Eat whole, natural foods.

You can get a lot of information from this site :

http://nutritiondata.self.com

Just search an item in the upper left. It has different results for "raw" or "cooked" which is nice.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevork View Post
    So I am eating Primally, but there is sooo much information on counting that it makes my head explode.
    Just how are you supposed to know how much Fat, or Protein, or Carbs you are eating per day - and, don' t say use one of those sites like fitday etc, cause that's another painfully detailed process.

Anybody else not have an idea of their daily numbers? The general assumption seems to be that you know exactly what 60 g of carb per day looks like when looking at the actual food...and just how big is a 'medium' avocado anyway?

I wish I had a "profatcarbinator" that could measure a plate of food and spit out the count!
    Actually if your eating primal there is no counting......If your eating "primal forums" then you better get out your scale, subscribe to fitday, and meticulously plan every calorie.

Timthetaco Guest
    I've been eating ad libitum the past couple months, and I love it. I've been losing steadily from the start, so no need to count anything. There are days where I instinctively feel like I need more fat, carbs, or protein and adjust accordingly, but that's the extent of it. Haven't counted a single calorie, eitiher.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I agree counting things for many of us is not that important or just comes as an afterthought from experience. However, when I think back to when I started this whole process I was ignorant as hell.. and I think having a rough idea of macro composition was a good step.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually if your eating primal there is no counting......If your eating "primal forums" then you better get out your scale, subscribe to fitday, and meticulously plan every calorie.
    Neckhammer hit the nail on the head. Stop trying to count. Eat real food when you're actually hungry. If you are trying to achieve single-digit body fat or be a professional athlete, you may need to dial in your numbers more precisely, but for most people, the additional stress is a greater danger than a slightly sub-optimal ratio of macro- and micronutrients, which we'll never exactly agree on anyway.

Clivalicious is offline Junior Member
    This post is great timing for me. I'm about 10 days in and so still at the stage of absorbing as much information as I can, mainly via this and other forums. Consequently I'm scared that I'm doing it wrong if my numbers aren't right.

Having seen this thread, I'm on track with the principles at least by completely cutting out grains, legumes, sugar, processed foods and the crappy oils; and basing meals on 1/2 protein:1/2 veg cooked with or dressed with fat. (I was already pretty on track with the exercise, though have tweaked it slightly to adhere more to PBFitness)

I've been basing my meals on the best quality protein I can get (work's canteen isn't great) salad / veg and water/tea/coffee with a few bits of milk and cheese in there for good measure. I've also been cooking with and adding butter; and being more generous with olive oil. Oh, and I've stocked up on coconut milk to make a load of different curries.

I'm still scared of eating too much fat - having dieted the CW way for so long (over 10 years) it's a very hard mindset to break. I've only been eating when I'm hungry and seem to have started off including IF from the start by accident. I'm just not as hungry so don't see the point in forcing extra protein and fat down for the sake of numbers...

The idea of not counting seems idyllic. So that's what I'm gonna do for the rest of the month. If I haven't got the results I want or expect, I'm sure you'll find a new thread from me along the lines of "HELP?!!"

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I don't count anything. I eat (primal) foods I love -- and I love a wiiiiide variety of foods -- and take time to enjoy the eating experience as often as possible. 'Enjoyment' adds to the satiety and satisfaction of food. I like savoring a good meal, I like planning a fantastic meal, and I like looking forward to the next eating opportunity - when I'm actually hungry - because I've got something scrumptious waiting for me.

I sense that many people who struggle with weight and body image don't actually *like* food. I'm actually shocked at how many fat/obese people I know who don't LOVE food, or are very picky eaters. Or don't give themselves permission to enjoy it. Its as if they feel they don't deserve to enjoy food. Or food is just a means to an end. Or that numbers matter more than ingredients (Weight Watchers). We are not meant to fuel our bodies with numbers.

I know why I got fat....I LOVE TO EAT GOOD FOOD, and sadly my old way of eating used to include too many fat-building foods. By eliminating just 4 ingredients (wheat, corn, soy, seed oils), I've been able to concentrate on all the other foods I love, and enjoy the transformations in my body composition, bodily functions, mood, energy levels, etc. Eating fantastic foods makes me feel fantastic. This is the true measurement for me...not macros, micros, calories, or the scale.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clivalicious View Post
    This post is great timing for me. I'm about 10 days in and so still at the stage of absorbing as much information as I can, mainly via this and other forums. Consequently I'm scared that I'm doing it wrong if my numbers aren't right.
    Give it 10 weeks. Read the book, the go read more books. Expect some trial and error while you figure out what works best for YOU.

You can't 'do it wrong' if you're eating clean, natural foods WHEN YOU'RE HUNGRY. Don't eat if you're not hungry. Stop eating numbers and enjoy your food
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I use a kitchen scale and fitday. the way to stream line the process is to make a few sample menus with your typical breakfast & lunch, and the other standard foods set as custom entries. For example, I have 2 cups of raw vegetables calculated as a mix of equal parts of carrots, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers.

To count or not to count depends on how heavy you are, how fast is your weight loss, how much muscle vs fat you are losing and what your goal is. If you are overweight and your goal is to just get in the normal range, try eating without counting, and if your weight and inches are going down happily for a few weeks, do not worry about counting. But if you are getting heavier and inches go up in the wrong places, well, start counting.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.