Thread: low carb and breastfeeding? page

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

low carb and breastfeeding?

Shop Now
    I've survived my first two months of motherhood and am exclusively breastfeeding my little one. I've not only fallen off the "primal" wagon, I pretty much set the wagon on fire. BUT, it's time to sort out my diet now that I have a little more time on my hands to do some cooking and don't have to rely on my non-primal husband (please no lectures! I did the best I could)....getting back to full on primal will naturally drop my carbs though I will make an effort to do so slowly and make sure I maintain my calorie intake.

My question - has anyone seen an impact on their milk supply from a low carb diet or from titrating down from ridiculous carbs to lower-ish carbs? Anything to look out for?
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I should add: my goal is not to lose weight. Though I do need to lose a bit of pregnancy weight, my only goal is feeding myself and my baby well. Lots of time to lose weight in the future! If it happens, great but that's not a current goal.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I think if you eat plenty of good carbs, sweet potato and lots of leafy greens you will be fine

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Yep, you and baby will be fine.

I wasn't hungry ONE BIT after my first was born.

Swear, all I did was drink a butt ton of water every day and
    baby still got nice and big.

Pretty sure he sucked out 10lbs of fat, cuz I was 125 when I got pregnant,
    135 at delivery, and 115 six months into his life.

So drink your water and eat the way you wanna!

Julie

interzone is offline Member
    I'm breastfeeding and pumping for my 5 week old twins.

I do notice that too few carbs (like <150) really puts a dent in my supply. I eat lots of sweet potatoes, squash, and fruit. Although it won't win me any fans here I will freely admit that a bowl of steel cut oats with coconut oil every morning has seemed to help keep the milk flowing as well. I do take fenugreek and Domperidone too, but when I ditch the oatmeal I can count on a lower output that night and into the next day. So far I haven't had to formula supplement.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I am pumping for my twin girls still, and at first I went VLC and my supply dropped a lot. I did notice that the more fat I ate, the more my supply went up but what ultimately helped the most was adding in more carby stuff, like sweet potatoes. And also, I'm a big night eater as well, it seems the more I eat at night (by night, I mean I stop eating around nine or ten pm) the better my supply is in the morning. I just make sure everything I'm eating is Primal and I have had no issues with any kind of weight gain.