Thread: Primal lunches for kids page

Rusulka is offline Junior Member

Primal lunches for kids

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying to get my son off the bread. Any ideas for kid-friendly primal school lunches? Keep in mind that there are no fridges or microwaves available to him.

Thanks!
    Rusulka

ltruss is offline Junior Member

School lunch ideas

Everyday Paleo always has great school lunch ideas. Two favorite ideas I got from there include:

cucumber sandwiches: put shredded meat (I also eat Applegate Farms deli meats) in between cucumber slices and serve with guacamole or goat cheese

pure wrap: paleo wraps that you can stuff with any fillings (leftover meats, salsa, almond butter etc). You can buy pure wraps online at:

Improv'eat Beyond Organic. Beyond Compare.

Those ideas can act as the "sandwich" for a school lunch. Maybe add some cut up veggies, cherry tomatoes or pieces of fruit. A larabar can also be a fun addition to a kid's lunch bag. If your kids like pickles, real fermented varieties can be a fun snacky side item.

Hope that helps!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Get a lunchbag that allows you to add an ice pack. Are there any meats he likes cold?

Primal lunches I used to make for work:

slices of cold chicken breast and cheese, cherry tomato, a leaf or two of romaine and a piece of fruit (usually an apple). Use the lettuce leaves as sandwich 'bread'/wrap for the chicken and cheese. Sometimes I wouldn't have lettuce so I'd pack toothpicks and spear the chicken, cheese, and a tomato together. I would do the same for steak as well.

Chicken or tuna salad made with primal mayo and red grapes, using a piece of celery as a spoon.

Low carb wraps like what Iltruss suggested

Cold primal-ized pizza

Cold shirataki noodles mixed with cooked chicken. green onions, and a peanut sauce (I haven't made this in a while, I remember it was a primal peanut sauce/peanut curry sauce but I can't find the recipe)

Will keep thinking, I basically took dinner leftovers and made a cold meal from them for lunches. Of course, I like cold chicken and cold, thinly sliced beef. If your kiddo doesn't then it might be harder.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

crossfitmom is offline Junior Member
    I almost always send my son (3) to mother's day out with deli meat, some cut veggies & fruit and some avocado. Sometimes I'll send him with tuna salad. I try not to make it too complicated. I put some ice packs in his box to keep it cool until lunch. His teachers probably think I'm so weird because I don't send a sandwich and chips. And I don't let him have the candy they pass out, he gets a sticker instead. My poor kid, lol.

I second the PPs suggestion to check out everydaypaleo.com

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    Primal kid lunches are so pretty in a Bento box and my kids LOVE the attention they get from their unconventional spreads.

Proteins:

Meatballs
    Chicken
    Steak slices
    Deviled or HB eggs
    Lunchmeat rollups
    Cheese (mozzarella, muenster, cheddar, Dutch varieties, provolone...)
    Sausage
    Bacon

Veggies:

Celery
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Green pepper slices
    Salad
    Raw zucchini
    Baby spinach

Fruit:

Mandarins
    Apples
    Grapes
    Mango
    Pineapple
    Kiwi
    Etc

Crunchy snack:

Macadamia
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Pretzels or pita chips (I know lol)
    Homemade sweet potato chips

Dip:

Zucchini hummus
    Homemade ranch
    Yogurt (vanilla or add cocoa powder for chocolate)
    Tamarind

*their lunches almost always have a half avocado lightly salted.

Also, my kids are not on low carb and I allow white rice in their diets. I have these little rice molds that I layer with fun stuff.
    Last edited by Bukawww; 05-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    ooooo meatballs! I never thought of that!! Thanks for the ideas Buka! (And hubby will thank you too, I think he's getting tired of the same stuff in his box every weekday)
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    I pack my son the same things that I pack for myself.
    Danni

jes1014 is offline Senior Member
    I think the small thermoses work pretty well to keep soup and the like warm for a few hours
    Thread-killer extraordinaire
    My journal
    Primal since 3/10/12 - removed lap band 5/11/12
    207/186/160

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    ooooo meatballs! I never thought of that!! Thanks for the ideas Buka! (And hubby will thank you too, I think he's getting tired of the same stuff in his box every weekday)

My kids eat paleo meat balls cold got lunch. I make them in muffin pans so we call them meat muffins.

Everyday Paleo has great kid friendly meal ideas. She even blogged about her kids' lunches a few weeks ago.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    High Plains Primal has a lot of ideas in a photo album on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9871592&type=3