Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broccoli Upsets my Stomach - Should I avoid? page

AKPrimal is offline Junior Member

Broccoli Upsets my Stomach - Should I avoid?

Shop Now
    Seemingly (perhaps actually) a stupid question, but broccoli upsets my stomach both raw and cooked. It is however so highly regarded nutrition-wise part of me feels I should just man-up a couple times a week and deal with the discomfort. Anyone else in this boat?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Don't eat it if it upsets your stomach. How about some nice leafy greens?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Hey - don't know how long you've been eating primal so forgive me if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs here. I've had quite the problem digesting certain vegetables in the past, but less so now by eating them in certain ways, like really well and truly cooked in saturated fat (i.e. stir fried in butter or something, or blended into a creamy soup). Also I think *probably* minimizing wheat (80/20! 80/20! 80/20! don't shoot the messenger and i only have it like once a month if i'm at a fancy restaurant!) had something to do with the problem resolving, but I would still say eating potentially problematic veggies in fat helps a lot. It also might help to give up on the main stems as they are too heavy in indigestible fibres like lignin and cellulose and comparatively poor in nutritional value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    Hey - don't know how long you've been eating primal so forgive me if I'm teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs here. I've had quite the problem digesting certain vegetables in the past, but less so now by eating them in certain ways, like really well and truly cooked in saturated fat (i.e. stir fried in butter or something, or blended into a creamy soup). Also I think *probably* minimizing wheat (80/20! 80/20! 80/20! don't shoot the messenger and i only have it like once a month if i'm at a fancy restaurant!) had something to do with the problem resolving, but I would still say eating potentially problematic veggies in fat helps a lot. It also might help to give up on the main stems as they are too heavy in indigestible fibres like lignin and cellulose and comparatively poor in nutritional value.
    Interesting. I've tried roasted with olive oil to no avail, but I'll try the baconfat. After that, looks like I'll stick with other veggies. Thanks.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat broccoli much, either. It can't possibly be a health requirement, because what about all the people who live in places where broccoli doesn't grow? If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if it upsets your stomach, don't eat it!!! number one rule of eating, as far as i'm concerned. there are lots of good veggies out there, you can find others.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPrimal View Post
    Seemingly (perhaps actually) a stupid question, but broccoli upsets my stomach both raw and cooked. It is however so highly regarded nutrition-wise part of me feels I should just man-up a couple times a week and deal with the discomfort. Anyone else in this boat?
    It's said that it's probably best not eaten raw since cruciferous vegetables are relatively high in oxalic acid.

I'd have thought if it were upsetting your stomach it's best left alone. There are plenty of other choices, after all. But maybe the problem, whatever it is, is temporary. Why not leave it awhile and try again in a couple of months or something?
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-02-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's said that it's probably best not eaten raw since cruciferous vegetables are relatively high in oxalic acid.

I'd have thought if it were upsetting your stomach it's best left alone. There are plenty of other choices, after all. But maybe the problem, whatever it is, is temporary. Why not leave it awhile and try again in a couple of months or something?
    Years ago I ate broccoli with no issues, but over the past year or 2 this has happened. Maybe I'll continue to try it out every several months or so and see if I can get back to "normal". I have celiac so perhaps I did enough damage in my denial days.

Thanks all.

Kathryn10 is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem with broccoli. I love broccoli and would eat it several times a week, but out of nowhere this past winter it started upsetting my stomach. It hurt so bad that I would just lay in bed curled up in a ball until I felt better. I've noticed that sometimes if I eat broccoli cooked and covered in other stuff (cheese, butter, mixed in with other foods, etc.) it's not as bad, but lately any time I even look at it my stomach starts to hurt. What gives?! I have celiac too.

mamaelijah is offline Junior Member
    I, too, cannot eat broccoli. For me it began when I was 16 and eating salads almost every day during a high school girls conference. This was after having broccoli several times a week growing up without problem. It started with an upset stomach, then grew to pain. Raw is far worse than cooked, but both are bad. The pain feels like the worse indigestion you can imagine, curled up on a ball on the couch for a couple of hours is a good description of how to handle it. (Or, back labor with my first child was just slightly more painful.) At this point, I can do a cheddar broccoli soup or two or three bites of well cooked broccoli. It's sad, because I really enjoy it, and it's my kids favorite veggie, but I know the pain is not worth it. My advise---just stay away and enjoy something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast