Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering from a binge page

JVib is offline Senior Member

Recovering from a binge

So I went off on a VERY non primal binge over the course of the last 7 days due to numerous physical (caught a cold and had a night with almost no sleep) and mental (stressful situations) reasons. It started on April 27th with binge eating fruit (berries, bananas, raisins), it progressed to Haagen-Dazs all natural vanilla bean ice cream and 90% dark chocolate on April 28th. It culminated with plenty of regular ice cream, cookies, candy, cake, & pastries from April 29th to May 1st.

What has shocked me is how much of a physical impact this binge has had on me. In the past, when eating a standard American diet, a 1-6 week binge never had this kind of effect on me. I am very bloated, and suffering with stomach pains, nausea, headache, extremely tired, having trouble focusing, depressed, painful acne, and have broken out in hives (Iíve had the hive issue for several years, but rarely have had any issues with it since going strict primal. I suspect it may be an autoimmune condition.).

I am determined to get back on track with strict primal starting today!

I realize that eating all that processed sugar, grains and industrial seed oils can take a while to clear out of my system (I read that it can take months for the inflammation cause by some of this stuff to subside).

My question is for anyone who has gone off the wagon. What do you do to get back to feeling good as quickly as possible and to mitigate the damage? Today, I am drinking lots of water. But should I take extra supplements/probiotics?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    If you find yourself craving the sweets due to your binge just eat fruit. That is my go to sweet food and keeps me away from candy, pastry, etc. I would not stress about it as long as you can mentally get back on track. Personally, I found drinking a lot of fresh vegetable juice is excellent for renewing yourself in general mind and body..especially after a binge or drinking night. I make it daily.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I just go back to eating primally and I'm back on track in a couple of days. Usually after straying I'm so sick of crap food my body welcomes the clean eating.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I haven't gone on that kind of binge in years so I couldn't really say. Pick up some B vitamins & alpha lipoic acid to help stabilize your blood sugar. Primalize your house and set some limits- no more Haagen Daz or cookies at home, for example.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    Eating primally and drinking kombucha helps me feel better. Also, getting plenty of rest, I like to take naps

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    If you find yourself craving the sweets due to your binge just eat fruit. That is my go to sweet food and keeps me away from candy, pastry, etc. I would not stress about it as long as you can mentally get back on track. Personally, I found drinking a lot of fresh vegetable juice is excellent for renewing yourself in general mind and body..especially after a binge or drinking night. I make it daily.
    Thank you statikcat. Unfortunately, I have a real problem with sweets and in some cases eating a lot of fruit leads me to eating other sweets. In this case I started with way too much fruit, went on to raisins and then onto to other sweet junk.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I haven't gone on that kind of binge in years so I couldn't really say. Pick up some B vitamins & alpha lipoic acid to help stabilize your blood sugar. Primalize your house and set some limits- no more Haagen Daz or cookies at home, for example.
    Thank you fiercehunter. I hope I will reach a point when I can say I haven't gone on a binge for years. Thank you for your suggestions. My wife has some vitamin B at home. I will check out alpha lipoic. I try to primalize my house, but my wife is only "semi-primal" at this point...and my daughter is far from primal (my wife supports this) so there is always some non primal junk in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I just go back to eating primally and I'm back on track in a couple of days. Usually after straying I'm so sick of crap food my body welcomes the clean eating.
    Thank you Sandra. My plan is to get back on track. It is kind of a blessing to feel this bad. It gives me great motivation to get back to strick primal.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    Eating primally and drinking kombucha helps me feel better. Also, getting plenty of rest, I like to take naps
    Thank you Primalmontana. I've never heard of kombucha before. I just googled it. Where can I get it? Rest is key for me. I've always had sleep issues in the past and insomnia leads to sugar cravings for me.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    Thank you statikcat. Unfortunately, I have a real problem with sweets and in some cases eating a lot of fruit leads me to eating other sweets. In this case I started with way too much fruit, went on to raisins and then onto to other sweet junk.
    Definitely make a plan to reduce fruit except in the summer. Use just berries till it gets hot out and not every day. Start making a big a$$ salad every day- go pick up some umeboshi plum vinegar & apple cider vinegar to use as dressing. It sounds like you are addicted to sweet tastes & need to retrain your taste buds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast