Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LHT recommendations, please page

janeen is offline Senior Member

LHT recommendations, please

Primal Fuel
    I am now in my 3rd week of my new exercise program and it is going well. I found 2 spin classes I like plus one called Total Body. It is an hour with squats, lunges, pushups, and planks, plus lots of isolation exercises - biceps, triceps, chest presses, etc. I use the heaviest weights I can do at least 8 reps of each exercise. We do 3 sets of every exercise.

Now I want to add an extra day of LHT at the gym. I want to focus on building muscle (I'm thinking metabolism and getting lean, not bodybuilding). I'm usually good for about 5 different exercises when I'm working on my own. Either machines or free weights are fine. What would be the most effective routine for me? Which 5 exercises? How heavy (number of reps)?

Thanks!
    Janeen

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Look at starting strength or strong lifts. You will definitely not have to worry about being a bodybuilder but you will get stronger in a very functional way an stimulate hormones to make you lean. You can also do it with bodyweight such as PBf or convict
    conditioning and sandbag fitness is another fun option. Enjoy your journey
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Thanks! I just looked both of those up. Strong Lifts looks great. I haven't figured out much yet about S'S without the book, but I am liking Strong Lifts. I appreciate your help.
    Janeen

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Deadlift (5X1-3), Squat (5X5), Bench press (5X5) or Overhead Press (5X5), Pull Ups.

There are an infinite combination of other things you could throw in but these exercises, with linear progression, will elevate you above 95% of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonVal View Post
    You can also do it with bodyweight such as PBf or convictconditioning and sandbag fitness is another fun option
    I tried bodyweight and don't really like it. Maybe I have too much? LOL!
    Janeen

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Deadlift (5X1-3), Squat (5X5), Bench press (5X5) or Overhead Press (5X5), Pull Ups.

There are an infinite combination of other things you could throw in but these exercises, with linear progression, will elevate you above 95% of everyone else.
    Perfect! Just what I was looking for! Two questions:
    1. Bench OR overhead? Alternate them? Or just pick one and go with it?
    2. I'm not sure I'll have a spotter. Of course, it will probably be awhile before I can lift anything heavy enough to do any real damage, short of dropping weights on my head or foot... But still, is there anything I'd HAVE to have a spotter for? Or choose an alternate?
    Janeen

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janeen View Post
    Perfect! Just what I was looking for! Two questions:
    1. Bench OR overhead? Alternate them? Or just pick one and go with it?
    2. I'm not sure I'll have a spotter. Of course, it will probably be awhile before I can lift anything heavy enough to do any real damage, short of dropping weights on my head or foot... But still, is there anything I'd HAVE to have a spotter for? Or choose an alternate?
    I'd alternate them, and you might also want to alternate squats and deadlifts from session to session.

I wouldn't recommend benching without a spotter or at least pins in a power rack. Everything else should be ok as long as you're in a position to dump the bar if you need to (your gym may not like this).

Thanks!
    Janeen

So I went to the gym today to LHT. I did 5x3 dead lifts, and 5x5 bench presses and pullups (assisted). I'm a bit embarrassed at how light the weights were, but that just means I get to enjoy watching them progress more, right?

I'm going to skip to tomorrow's total body class and go back to the weight room on Thurs for squats and overhead lifts. What do you think? More pullups on Thurs? Or planks? Or something else?

This will probably be my routine for awhile. The gym doesn't open early enough on the weekends for me to get there and back before kids are up and dh is out the door, so I want to get the most I can out of my 2 days there.
    Janeen

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janeen View Post
    I tried bodyweight and don't really like it. Maybe I have too much? LOL!
    HarrisonVal is a spambot. It just repeated what bryanccfshr posted above.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast