Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much protein do you eat a day? page

abbyful is offline Member

How much protein do you eat a day?

Primal Fuel
    I've never been one for counting anything, whether it be calories, carbs, or protein.

I'm pregnant and taking the Bradley Method classes; they have their recommended daily food intake. I figured I'd track my food for a week since they gave me the worksheet and I'm paying for the class. Here's what they want you to eat every day: Bradley Method Nutrition Information (obviously not a "primal" diet, so I'm ignoring the grain items).

I've really been struggling to eat even close to what they recommend in terms of overall amount and protein. (I guess it would be a good plan for those that struggle with eating nutritious real food, there's no room left for junk if you follow their diet!)

Yesterday (missed the goal of 100 grams, only got 86 grams protein)
    Breakfast: full-fat yogurt, mango
    Lunch: 2 egg cups (egg cooked inside Canadian bacon in a muffin tin), sweet potato with lots of Kerrygold butter
    Snack: milkshake (Breyers vanilla ice cream and buttermilk) - yes, it was a splurge/treat!
    Dinner: 2 tilapia fillets, mixed greens salad

Day before (got 118 grams protein)
    Breakfast: 3-egg & cheddar omelette
    Lunch: shrimp ceviche
    Snacks: cheese curds, apple, coconut water
    Dinner: taco salad (1/2 pound beef, 1/2 onion, 1 roasted poblano, mixed greens, sour cream, cheese, salsa)

I'm not really worried about meeting their goals, I've always been a "listen to your body" type of person. I was just surprised at the sheer amount of food they want people to eat.

So that's a really long way to ask my simple question: How much protein most people here eat each day?

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I try to aim for 1g/ lb. of body weight. So right now it would be between 130-140g. This may be a bit high for some b/c I lift weights often. A good rule of thumb is atleast .8g/lb for those with lower carb intake.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Most American women do not eat enough protein. You need more when pregnant. What's your size to start with? I don't track my intake but always put on emphasis on protein since I've been pregnant/nursing since 8/07. I don't think 100g protein would be too crazy for a pregnant female.
    Good luck with your delivery. Delivering without an epidural for both children was awesome and really sped recovery compared with others I know. The most useful thing I learned from reading the Bradley book was that when you don't think you can take it anymore, you're in transition. DD was born ~45 minutes after I reached that point. Just make sure your doctor is on board with your chosen delivery method!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I aim to have 1.5 g of protein per lb of LBM on average, which for me is ~ 150 g of protein on average. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I try to aim for 150g as well. I think I should also mention that Leida and I do a lot of intense exercise.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I tried eating 1g for 1lb of target weight back in my P90x days and found it was just too much protein. Eating over 150g of protein everyday I do not think is the best idea. It just consumes every meal to be based around it and you end up pushing out fruits and veg where the real nutrients are. I do work out but I don't even think about it anymore..I honestly think it is a waste to worry about. I still typically get 90-120g a day and I am fine..

Most people getting over 150 are drinking a lot of protein shakes too. I found I always felt better without them. Swap the protein shake for a smoothie or veg juice and I get a clearer mind and a better workout.
    Last edited by statikcat; 05-02-2012 at 07:23 AM.

A pound of meat is like 100g protein right there. I eat this, a pound of vegetable, and a dozen eggs in a sitting after a fast. How is that pushing out veggies?

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    A pound of meat is like 100g protein right there. I eat this, a pound of vegetable, and a dozen eggs in a sitting after a fast. How is that pushing out veggies?
    1lb is80-100g depends on the protein. To me personally your ratio is off. You are eating 1lb of meat, 1lb+ of eggs, and 1lb of veg. That means animal product is 70%+ of your meals? Personally, I find non animal products (mostly fruit/veg/nuts) should add to more than 30% of your diet.

Of course this is after a fast but I assume it resembles what you typically eat in a day anyway.

Also, 90gb for 1lb meat and 48g from the eggs.. you are still at 138g. I said over 150 seems high. The higher protein the less variety you are including. To me over 150 is rough area of diminishing returns.
    Last edited by statikcat; 05-02-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Lynna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    guh...if I eat more than 2 eggs at a sitting, I feel nauseous.

To the OP. I don't know. I don't keep track.

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    1lb is80-100g depends on the protein. To me personally your ratio is off. You are eating 1lb of meat, 1lb+ of eggs, and 1lb of veg. That means animal product is 70%+ of your meals? Personally, I find non animal products (mostly fruit/veg/nuts) should add to more than 30% of your diet.

Of course this is after a fast but I assume it resembles what you typically eat in a day anyway.
    If I train, I also add in a lb of sweet potato.

Meh, I feel like the fact that I sub in a pound of liver a week, I should be fine on the nutrient content.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast