Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Foam...is it safe? page

catparade is offline Junior Member

Memory Foam...is it safe?

Shop Now
    My mattress is old, saggy and full of springs. Not comfortable at all.
    I can't do anything about it because it is part of the flatshare that I'm living in and I doubt the landlord would be keen to buy new mattresses for the flat. As a compromise, my partner bought a memory foam mattress topper to try to minimize the discomfort.

We put it on yesterday and it feels SO much better.

But to be honest... I'm slightly paranoid. It smells pretty strong (sort of like paint/chemicals?) and I'm thinking, here I go trying to minimise my exposure to toxins (I adhere to all organic skincare, food, make-up etc) yet I'm spending 8+ hours a night inhaling fumes from this mattress?

Has anyone had any experience with memory foam? Am I being paranoid? I guess the smell goes away after a while? but...long term exposure concerns me!

Dice Monkey is offline Member
    The smell will completely dissipate in a short time. We've used a foam topper for years and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I don't know much about the toxicity, but I can't imagine it's much worse than whatever they make regular mattresses out of.
    An added benefit though is they are by their nature "allergy free" (as long as you aren't allergic to the foam, that is).
    They don't harbor dust mites which cause allergies for a lot of people.

They do retain a bit more body heat than other types of mattresses so you may need to keep the bedroom cooler.

Enjoy.
    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I love my latex foam, which is more natural, if you decide you want something else.

Milty is offline Senior Member
    We bought one a few months ago as well because our bed was hard as a rock. Much more comfortable. And the smell should dissipate within a few days (2-4).

I suggest NOT eating it.

Milty is offline Senior Member
    What about smoking it?

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    Memory Foam, is it safe?

I....I....I can't remember.

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Safe or not, I'll never give up my memory foam topper.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not safe. Memory foam off-gassing is a little worse than regular mattress toxins, which is bad enough. You would be much better off with a natural latex or wool topper.

I have a latex bed made without any unsafe chemicals and wool topper and comforter. It's divine!

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    We recently bought a memory foam mattress from Ikea, our traditional mattress was invaded with mold due to the environment of living in an enclosed space (RV) and from what I understand, foam is antimicrobial (so far, so good, and the washable cover should help too). It's dangerously comfortable--the first week we had it, while it stank for a couple of days, it was so comfortable that I didn't care and I overslept every day for a week. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast