Thread: how long to be a 'fast'... page

benny687 is offline Junior Member

how long to be a 'fast'...

Primal Fuel
    Just a quick question, how long between meals qualifies as a fast? Is there a minimum time?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Whatyoudoing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by benny687 View Post
    Just a quick question, how long between meals qualifies as a fast? Is there a minimum time?
    Thanks,
    Ben
    I'd say 14 hours minimum. This is very easy, you finish dinner at 6 and you can eat breakfast at 8. I think 16 hours is a bit more challenging but still quite easy and simple to do daily

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if there is an official time in between meals to qualify as a fast but I consider anything longer than 16 hours without a significant caloric intake as a fast.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    i don't think there is an actual minimum, but i do think it sounds strange when people say something like "i took a 4 hour fast today"-- when the time is very short it doesn't sound like the appropriate word. i guess i'm kind of old-fashioned on that, though, when i think of fasting i think of bible characters out in the desert, etc. i probably wouldn't use the term for anything shy of 20 hours or so unless i was specifically referencing an eating regimen like "i'm going to do LeanGains, and my fasting window will be 16/8 from x time to y time fasting" where the term is part of the plan's language.

in all seriousness, though, it's not the word you use that matters, but the effect on your body. you can take a "38.5 minute fast" and it will be clear to anyone what you mean and to you what the effects are , even if it sounds silly on teh forums (what doesn't?).
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.