Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight going down, but body fat percentage going up. Why? page

Nikkifit67 is offline Junior Member

Weight going down, but body fat percentage going up. Why?

Shop Now
    I'm a female ex-athlete in my mid 40s whose weight had been slowly creeping on carbs (and too much wine), but have been primal for about 2.5 months now and lost 16 pounds (now 132 lbs at 5'8"). I am concerned that my lean mass is dropping (and can't for the life of me) understand why my body fat would be rising (26%). I do 3 good strength sessions a week, a couple of good walks and some stretching. I am eating about 50g of carb 50 g of protein (i listened to Dr. Rosedale on the low carb experts show and his warning about eating too much protein) and 100g of fat (which I never get to). Any ideas??

js290 is offline Senior Member

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I would say eat more protein. I haven't read much of Dr. Rosedale's stuff, but I would think that you need much more than 50g of protein to maintain optimal muscle mass. I bet if you double your protein intake (take out an equal amount of calories from fat, so about -25g) you will see muscle gain and get leaner.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    How are you measuring your body fat%? I think those scales are inaccurate....

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    How are you measuring your body fat%? I think those scales are inaccurate....
    Very good point. If it's bioelectric impedance, it's probably way off. Mine routinely puts me at 20%, when I'm much closer to 10%. They are especially innacurate for people eating a low carb diet since you will be retaining less water and therefore be less conductive.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    So, you are eating about 1300-1400 calories a day? How much "hard mass" do you have at the moment? I have a few things to add at this point before you answer my questions. First, you need to be doing intensive work outs in order to utilize stored glycogen. You say "good" weight work. What does that entail? If you are doing 3 sets of 12 reps, my suggestion would be to up your weights and do fewer reps. Push the limits of your strength, and you will utilize that glycogen.

How is your 200g of food distributed throughout the day? Are you eating small meals all day long? Are you sitting down in the evening and eating a single large mean? The reason I ask is that insulin will inhibit the use of fat as a fuel reserve. Your 100g of carb and protein will produce an insulin response. If you are spreading out your food, you are likely maintaining some amount of insulin which could be blocking all those wonderful hormones that usually metabolizes your fat.

I'm a guy, so I'm unsure how helpful this is, but here is what I've done to get significant fat loss. I'm losing about 1-2% body fat a week right now and putting on a bit of hard mass. I've started fasting during the day. I eat in an evening window so that all day long, my insulin levels are low. Before I break my fast is when I get my work outs in. I do 3 intense weight work outs a week, which I do right before I break my fast. I also do a 3-5 mile walk each day, which I also do while fasting. My goal, and logic here, is that I'm keeping insulin at a minimum for as long as I can. Since insulin inhibits hormones that metabolizes fat, I'm trying to maximize the function of those hormones.

I hope you find your solution! Unfortunately, we are all a bit different, and what works for one does not work for another. Keep us updated and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I would say eat more protein. I haven't read much of Dr. Rosedale's stuff, but I would think that you need much more than 50g of protein to maintain optimal muscle mass. I bet if you double your protein intake (take out an equal amount of calories from fat, so about -25g) you will see muscle gain and get leaner.
    Thank you for that! I think I'll up my protein a little because I don't want to lose muscle mass. Dr. Rosedale cautions eating more than about 12g per meal because if you don't use it, you run the risk of it being converted because it's not being burned.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What are you worried about it being converted to? Make sure you are adding a good protein source pre and post lifting session. TBH I think you are over thinking things.
    Eat, lift move and play. You will be fine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks for your feedback! I'm eating 50g protein, 50g of carb and (on average) 75g of fat. i eat 3 meals (full fat yogurt, nuts & seeds for breakfast), eggs for lunch, poultry or meat with veg for dinner. Snacks are nuts and small bites of cheese. When i say intense weight sessions I mean strength sessions: one 60 minute session doing weights (not free weights), one power class with weights and a strong studio pilates class. I have recently also begun to do one intermittent fast a week (24 hrs). I guess I could cut my carbs and try to eat more 'pure' protein.

PrimalCon New York
    Good point. Well said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast