Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian Feast Night - Suggestions and Ideas please? page

roadannii Guest

Shop Now
    Last edited by roadannii; 05-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fegato veneziana
    Vitello tonnato
    Grilled fish
    Salads

so much italian food is primal that it would be a crime against culture to use faleo recipes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    The feast of seven fishes. My family has it every Xmas eve. How about the feast of five fishes? Lol

Risotto is another idea if you eat rice. And frittata.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Pollo alla pizzaola!

5 Good quality ripe tomatoes
    8 Chicken thighs
    Oregano
    Garlic
    Salt
    Black pepper
    1TBS Tomato puree

1: Make a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes and put them in boiling water for 30sec. Take them out and put them in ice water. You can peel the skin off with ease now.
    2: Slice tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices. Take a big iron cast pan and spread out some olive oil on the bottom. Lay out the tomatoes in the pan.
    3: Oregano and garlic to taste on the tomatoes.
    4: Chicken thighs on top of tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
    5: Fire on medium till it nearly boils. Fire on low, lid on the pan and let simmer for about 15min.
    6: Tomato puree goes in there and simmer for another 15min.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I may suggest, despite the French name, a Filet Mignon:

It is a pork fillet cut into medallions, lightly fried in butter both sides for 3+3 minutes, then add some cognac, finally cream and mushrooms. Stir so that the cream becomes brown. Let the cream dry and become thick. Serve the medallions with a spoonful of creamy mushrooms.

The mushrooms part is not just plain mushrooms from the can, it's another recipe that comes handy for dozens of other dishes (or eaten as vegetables together with a grilled steak). It must be prepared before and it can be frozen (like I do).

- lightly fry finely cut onions in butter
    - add some (just some) white wine and let the alcohol evaporate
    - add the mushrooms (edible boletus or morchels)
    - add some water + vegetable bouillon, parsley, some squeezed garlic (don't worry, it won't smell like garlic once it's well cooked, but you'll feel it's missing if you don't put it)
    - optionally some oil of olive (but no need, you've got butter already)

Let it cook for 40-45 minutes until almost all the water evaporates. Add some water if it is evaporating too fast.

LeaB is offline Member
    Meatballs and sauce over spagetti squash

Luce is offline Senior Member
    This are somethings I cook for dinner when my best friend comes by:

Little pork "tarts"

I layer a one portion "cup" with italian pancetta (or coppa when I need it tighter) and set it aside.
    Mix 1 lb grounded pork with some crushed fennel seeds, a spoonful of onion juice if you like it, half a cup green apple sauce (or grated apples) a drop of calvados or any brandy you can put your hands on, some pureed mushrooms (porcini if you can, champignons will work the same). Treat the mixture like dough and put it all together.
    You can fill the "cups" with the concoction above mentioned, drill a small hole with your finger and stuff in there whatever you like: a tiny quail egg, a piece of cheese if you are into dairy, whatever you fill like putting in there. Cover with a layer of pancetta, coppa or lard.
    They come off the stamp quite easily and look totally good on a dish layered with fresh greens, or you can sit them with some homemade mayonaisse.

"tiramisù"

Mix 250 gr of mascarpone with three egg yolks, a pinch of "sugar" and the tiniest amount of salt (it brings out sweetness astoundingly) until airy and fluffy, ad some coffee and keep on mixing -taste it, is the only way to adjust sweetness and get the right coffee hint because different blends give different results. Lay some crushed primal cookies (the ones you like more, unless you decide to go plain crashed nuts) at the bottom of a serving glass and alternate with the cream. You may add berries but IMO dark chocolate goes better with the slightly coffee flavored version of this one. You could eventually substitute coffee with raspberry mush (homemade) to get a more flirty looking spring dessert.

Hope it helps

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Omg please make an appetizer of caprese salad consisting of buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil and enjoy for me >_____<

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    yum i luv the caprese salad. The very rare occasion when we go to a local italian place, that's what i like to get. I also get a fantastic seafood salad; lots of fish & seafood cooked very plainly & lightly & it's dressed in balsamic vinegar. YUM!

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Make up a big platter, with grilled vege strips (zuchini, eggplant, capsicum etc), italian cheese, olives, and cold meats. This is the kind of food italian's eat all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast