Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep 9 hours a night to lose weight page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Sleep 9 hours a night to lose weight

Primal Fuel
    SEATTLE, May 1 (UPI) -- Sleeping too much does not make one fat -- in fact, sleeping more than 9 hours a night may suppress genetic influences on body weight, U.S. researchers say.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You wish... I feel great on ~ 7-7.5 hours of sleep, and can't seem to sleep any more even when I have time to sleep. My husband is overweight, I am not, and he tends to sleep closer to 9 hours.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You wish... I feel great on ~ 7-7.5 hours of sleep, and can't seem to sleep any more even when I have time to sleep. My husband is overweight, I am not, and he tends to sleep closer to 9 hours.
    I too can't ever... EVER sleep more than 8 hours (even if I go out the previous night). I just wake up, I used to hate it, but now I just roll with it and get my day started. I feel okay on 6 hours, and awesome on 7. 9 or above and I actually feel sluggish. I do take measures to go to sleep at 11pm at the latest (esp during the work week) because no matter what time I go to sleep, my body naturally wakes up around 7 am, probably due to the fact that I wake up around 6:20 for work.

Forgot to mention that my gf averages 8-9 and while she's not actively trying to lose weight, she's also not magically losing it just due to her sleeping habits.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 05-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    There's a whole book about the sleep/weight loss connection:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sle...5969226&sr=8-2

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    8 to 9 hours is perfect for me... if I ever get it. *sigh*

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Optimal sleep is whatever your body is asking for. Everyone is different. Denying your body the sleep it needs is what does the damage. If it takes 9 to wake up refreshed, give it 9. If you wake before the alarm with 7 then good for you.

I routinely average around 7, which isnt optimal, and will take 9 or 10 when I can get it. I do know for sure that when I'm eating optimally I perform better on less sleep.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    That's interesting. Maybe that is why my fat loss stalls on and off? I would love to get over nine hours sleep a night - would be a lie in every day. Instead I stay up late on my computer and then wake up late without really enough sleep. I should give this a try.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do take measures to go to sleep at 11pm at the latest (esp during the work week) because no matter what time I go to sleep, my body naturally wakes up around 7 am, probably due to the fact that I wake up around 6:20 for work.
    Lol, I get up about 4 am, normally a few minutes before the alarm goes off. I go off to bed between 8 and 9 pm. I am up at 5:30 on Saturday, and I call it 'sleeping in'. Heh. Too bad gym is not opened till 7 am on the weekends!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Sleeping nine hours is nice, but not always doable. Some days I do better on nine and others I do better on seven or eight. I slept in like a dog today, got like ten hours of sleep, and the weight loss was hardly effected at all. Just depends on my body I guess. *shrugs*
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I woke up with four hours, without issue, for some odd reason. I don't know if I should force the remaining three, to four, hours - just to get that "necessary" amount of sleep.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast