Thread: Is this a good deal on grass-fed beef? page

Dave P is offline Junior Member

Is this a good deal on grass-fed beef?

Shop Now
    I found this "deal" at a semi-local farm (about an hour away) on grass-fed beef. what do you think, good deal or not so much?

Price $199

Hunter Cattle.jpg

Jmb
    Jmb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
    I found this "deal" at a semi-local farm (about an hour away) on grass-fed beef. what do you think, good deal or not so much?

Price $199

Hunter Cattle.jpg
    Are you at Fort Stewart or HAAF?

Dave P is offline Junior Member
    Wilmington Island (oustside SAV), used to be at Hunter back in the day.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I can't see the picture you posted. They usually take about a day to get approved. I've been buying cuts from Hunter Cattle for the past 3 years or so. I've never been dissapointed and like the fact that they offer the more obscure cuts like heart, tongue, and marrow bones. I'm getting a chest freezer soon and will see what kind of deal they will offer me for a bulk purchase.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Your picture was approved. So if I counted right, that's 30 lbs. of meat. At $200, that works out to $6.7 / lb. That sounds like a decent price to me. I've heard some people on this forum report better deals for buying a half cow from other farms, but maybe that was hanging weight and not trimmed, ready to eat cuts.

I finally got my chest freezer, so I plan to also make a large order soon! Do you know if Hunter Cattle offers a discount for purchasing a quarter or half versus just buying a large number of cuts?

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I would say 6.70 a pound average is a very good deal. I get ground beef for 4.99, but it goes for 6.99 or 7.99 at Whole Foods. So if you're getting a sirloin and ribeye steak in there, that's a good price.

Probably about right for the amount purchased. As noted, you get deeper discounts buying half and quarter beeves.

I'd also note that quality counts. If the beef is excpetional, it's worth paying a little more for. I've gotten grass-fed from various farmers, and it was all good to very good. But if the marbling, flavor, quality of packaging, and the butchering job are better then it's worth it. Have you tried any of their beef yet?