Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz - Insoluble fiber in what now? page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

I saw an episode of Dr. Oz talking to someone named Dr. Katz about diet and reducing cancer risk. I thought almost all of his suggestions were pretty good in relation to what I've learned since discovering the PB. However at one point he said we need whole grains "for the fiber" and that whole grains in particular have "insoluble fiber which is important."

That one kind of blew me away. His argument was fill half your plate with vegetables, especially leafy greens, but then add bread because we need insoluble fiber... last I checked "leafy greens" were excellent sources of insoluble fiber. He also failed to mention that most bread you find in the store contains sugar (often the 4th ingredient) which is another issue all together.

Or did I miss something? I'm guessing this is an example of the CW I've been reading about.

Still, his diet advice was pretty good and he advocates eating diets low in carbohydrates.

Kristen Guest

He's a "doctor" on a talk show....... 'nuff said.

lesliek is offline Member

The fiber argument is a powerful one, as it's really the only thing grains have going for them (according to CW) aside from taste and cheap calories. The rub is that whole grain bread doesn't even have much fiber in it. Two pieces of Brownberry "Health Nut" bread have less fiber than a small apple (and an incredible amount of carbohydrates).

A lot of people are worried their intestines will stop working if they don't eat bread and Activia. I don't know how to convince people of this other than to show them my poop, which isn't very polite.

@Kristen: I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure he's a legit cardiovascular surgeon.

http://asp.cumc.columbia.edu/facdb/p...pAffil=Surgery

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

CW is hard to shake. And I think for TV docs it's even worse. Can you imagine what the general population would do if a TV doc came on and said that whole grains were not only not necessary but probably causing a host of digestive issues?

Mark just told the story of the Doc that figured out you needed to wash your hands to prevent illnesses, and he got stomped for that little tidbit of info!

I'm moving in a couple of months, and seriously considering not getting any cable for the TV. I can watch movies on it anyway, and any series I kind of like I usually listen to on Hulu or Fancast at work while I'm plodding along... and much less commercials.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Kristen Guest

I stand corrected

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Dr. Oz is worse than judge Judy claiming being a judge of law

Stabby is offline Senior Member

That reasoning is so horrible. I don't eat any grains at all and I struggle to eat less fiber.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Vegemighty is offline Junior Member

hey, Judge Judy is cool!

Dr Oz isnt so bad, he's completely against white-flour and enriched flour and sugar and high fructose corn syrup. If the average american just cut out all the products they eat containing that, theyd probably be 80% primal. better than nothing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@chocolatechip6:

Sure I like his show, but my above post has a link to his credentials. I'm pretty sure he's for real unlike Judge Judy (who always makes me think of Cheri Oteri's impersonation of her on SNL!).

I just think he's going with what's accepted in the medical community right now regarding diet - however his argument about needing grains for insoluble fiber was full of holes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast