Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deaths of young & fit athletes apparently rising page

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia

Deaths of young & fit athletes apparently rising

Primal Fuel
    This is a topic that has interested me for some time. Why do young and fit athletes in training suddenly keel over and, usually, die before help can arrive? Recently there have been high profile ones:

1. Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba collapsed during a game, but survived
    2. Italian football player Piermario Morosini collapsed on the pitch (did not survive) during a Serie B game for Livorno last month
    2. And today a story (link blow) on Alexander Dale Oen, a world champion swimmer who was one of Norway's top medal hopes for the London Olympics, died from cardiac arrest after collapsing in his bathroom during a training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was 26.

Read more: 'Out-of-the-body experience': Norway stunned by death of Olympic swimmer

I know there have been a few US basketballers and footballers over the years too - an how many are there we never hear about?

I can't help but wonder if this rise in young deaths from apparent heart problems can be linked to the last 50 years of high carb, low fat diet, for everyone, not just athletes. Is it harming development in an unseen way so that when the heart is placed under stress it fails? Is some essential nutrient lacking, or are all the grains just causing too much inflammation, which lies unseen until a crisis hits?

I'd be interested in hearing other's views, but no 'flaming' please, we can share and exchange views without being rude to each other.

I am just expressing some purely speculative thoughts and would be interested in what other Primal followers think.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing other's views, but no 'flaming' please, we can share and exchange views without being rude to each other.

I am just expressing some purely speculative thoughts and would be interested in what other Primal followers think.
    We should probably make sure we're not committing a base rate fallacy in regards to these incidents. There are a lot of conditional probabilities to consider.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    they generally have a very lean body mass and push their bodies to the limit. drug abuse isn't that uncommon either.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Long QT syndrome could be a culprit?

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i thought it was coke & EPO - like Marco Pantani

goneprimal is offline Member
    energy drinks?

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Long QT syndrome could be a culprit?
    I also found this site - SADS (Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome) Australia. It begins thus: "Every 16.8hrs an Australian child dies of SADS".

Those are pretty alarming statistics!

From th sit: "Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome is common in people aged 5 - 35 it is an inherited disease which creates an abnormality in the heart, causing it to speed up/slow down to the point where it can no longer pump blood, in some cases, however, the heart will stop completely.

A heart condition such as this is hard to detect as there are very few, sometimes no prior symptoms ; most GP's and health professionals remain unaware of this 'SILENT KILLER'."

Long QT was the one I was thinking of & could not remember the name. My random musings were what if growing up on a low fat / high grains it could damage the heart in some previously undetected way?
    Last edited by Analog6; 05-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    All genetic mutations come at a cost. Olympic style competitions are completely about finding the outliers of the genetic population and pushing them to the pinnacle of performance. The problem is, these structural changes often times put the recipient at a greater vulnerability to structure failure. Improvements in world records have slowly been tapering off as we reach the height of what the human body will tolerate but people will still push past that point in their reach for their spot in the record books.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

samira is offline Member
    I just figured a lot of them take things like igf-1 or some form of drugs that improve energy and strength but tax their heart? At my gym I see men and some women on testosterone, or hgh and they are just students or business owners! Their livelihood doesn't depend on their bodies

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post

I can't help but wonder if this rise in young deaths from apparent heart problems can be linked to the last 50 years of high carb, low fat diet, for everyone, not just athletes.
    I see the numbers argument against that.

However, is the same thing happening (or apparently happening) with firefighters? There's an old podcast of Jimmy Moore's -- been catching up with these recently -- with cardiologist Dr. Lowell Gerber

538: Cardiologist Dr. Lowell Gerber Reignited His Passion For Health With Low-Carb | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

He was talking about these very fit men in their 20s and 30s keeling over with heart attacks. The fire service at the city in question had tested fitness at many levels to ensure they were fit for the job. Nevertheless, many were a bit overweight.

IIRC, he said stress is certainly involved here. This will be chronic as well as in immediate response to something -- one of the men had an event while driving the fire truck, another while attending a toaster fire, so it's not always the stress of the immediate situation.

IIRC, the fire department was looking into interventions based around an understanding of metabolic syndrome. I guess when everything else has failed, people start taking sensible steps. He said one of the things they were doing -- or planning to do? -- was check them over with a sonic device developed for racehorses. If a horse starts hobbling, you might not know where the injury is, and the horse cant tell you, so this woman has developed a device that looks for inflammation with sound waves to find the site of the tear or sprain. Anyway, since the device can find inflammation, and the signals it gives from different organs are known now, he says it can also be used to look for fatty liver.
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-02-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast