Thread: Electrician Seeking More Barefoot-like Work Shoes page

chadmac81 is offline Junior Member

Electrician Seeking More Barefoot-like Work Shoes

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

I've finally worn out my pair of wolverine boots and I am happy to be rid of them. I'm looking for a new pair of work shoes that will provide a minimal heel lift and somewhat barefoot style while still being durable for the rough use on the job site. This mythical shoe may not exist but I figured this would be as good a place as any to inquire. Are there any people in construction or the trades that have found something that is functional?

Chad

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    No idea, but I would love something like that that I could pass off as compliant with the uniform regulations in the Army (670-1).

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    There's a health & safety conference here in TO so tomorrow I'll inquire at the safety boot booths. Was there today and happened to see that there are lots of new styles of safety boots, even (stupid-looking) Ugg styles, but I was only walking by so I'll see about minimalist boots.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Minimalist, as in thin sole and no heel, is not enough for me.

If the shoe is still shaped with the typical last, I will have to get such a large size to be comfortable width-wise that I have a huge emptiness between my foot and the end of the shoe. My foot isn't QUITE this, but it's in that direction.

Let's look at the New Balance Minimus for a second. This is supposed to be one of the leading "minimalist shoes." Here's an overhead picture of it: LINK. How is that shape at all minimal?

I have yet to find any company-made shoes with a wide enough toe box.

destin is offline Junior Member
    I think the merrill trail glove comes in wide sizes, . As does the whole new balance minimus line

kitoi is offline Senior Member

faithy22 is offline Member
    I have to wear steel/composite toed shoes at work, it sucks. They never used to bother my feet but now the more time I spend barefoot outside of work, the more my feet (heels especially) are starting to hurt.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, the answer I got from one booth was that because of the minimum safety requirements of these shoes/boots, they simply cannot make them with a minimalist style. The soles must be able to resist cracking with use (from flexing) and puncture-resistant, etc.