Thread: Daily Meal Critique Please page

GrantT is offline Junior Member

Daily Meal Critique Please

Primal Fuel
    Hi all....first post. Roughly 45 days ago, ended up with a not great medical exam (high blood pressure, cholesterol etc.), and decided to lose some weight and get a little more health serious.

Having lost some weight on Atkins a couple years back, I dropped the carbs back out of my diet, and ended up finding information on eating Paleo, and have been migrating more in that direction.

Anyways...I have settled down into a more "regular" cycle of eating, and was hoping someone could provide any suggestions, criticism, thoughts on my last 4-5 meals, what I am doing right, wrong etc. I find often I "think" what may be doing something the right way ends up not always the best.

Here goes....

Dinner last night: Grilled a rib-eye steak on the BBQ (me and wife split one steak) - just pepper and a touch of salt. (This is not grass-fed beef yet as I am yet to find a local source.) Side dish was a salad of Arugula with home-made dressing (olive oil, Omega 3 egg yolk, salt/pepper, fresh lemon juice). Braised some kale with chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic in an olive oil/butter mix. No source of "grass fed" butter found yet either.

Breakfast this AM: Two Omega-3 eggs with salt/pepper and a touch of butter. Americano Coffee (espresso with hot water) blended with about a teaspoon of butter and coconut oil (man...I love these!!) Sometimes just coffee with heavy cream.

Mid-Morning Snack: About a cup of mixed frozen berries (rasberries, blackberries, blueberries) with about 1/4 cup of organic coconut milk.

Lunch: Arugula and mixed green salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, sprinkle of hemp seeds, and radishes. Dressed with about a tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, and some apple-cider vinegar. Had 9-10 decent sized boiled shrimp with seasoning.

Mid-Afternoon snack: might munch a few whole almonds, or perhaps a square of 85% dark chocolate

Dinner will be roughly the same as yesterday, but probably chicken, or some braised lamb, or a BBQ chicken quarters, or pork chops, etc. Trying to increase the salmon to at least twice a week. Usually sided by sauteed veggies (sometimes steamed etc.) and sometime a salad.

Weekends we tend to eat similarly, but more sparsely and at weird times, and also get into the red wine...perhaps a Martini or two.

I'm 5'10 and currently 205lbs. Was 220lbs when I started about 45 days ago. My waist has dropped from roughly 36" to 35" according to the belt, and seems to be getting looser, even thought the weight is stalled. I do carry the weight well...i.e. I do not look "obese" which is where my BMI had me. No one can believe I weigh over 200. I do have "large" biceps, thighs, neck etc,

I have seem to stalled on the weight loss over the last week or two. Not much change.

I do some walking, but probably no where near enough other exercise. Busy, busy, busy....but summer has arrived and hoping to pick that up.

Grant
    Last edited by GrantT; 05-01-2012 at 01:20 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Uh, cut out the snacks?

It's ok to be hungry sometimes. Or maybe you are interpreting thirst as hunger?

GrantT is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Uh, cut out the snacks?

It's ok to be hungry sometimes. Or maybe you are interpreting thirst as hunger?

Very possible I should cut them...that's the problem...I don't know. The snacks are definitely small....maybe I'll drop them next week and see if that changes anything. By lunch, I get cold hands, which is a definite sign for me I am calorie deficient....i.e. I'll usually see weight loss the next day or so.

I drink a fair amount of water, so I don't believe I am thirsty. By calorie count...I think I am pretty low...maybe I'll try calorie counting for a while as well.

Open to anything...

G

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't matter if the snacks are small, it's not good to snack for many reasons. Just eat bigger meals.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me. Some people will give you flack on the snacking, but I think a hand full of nuts here or there is fine. If you have the persistent "need" to snack it could be an indication your not eating enough at meal time though. Good to see you like the healthy fats. Coconut oil and butter are awesome

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ...but I think a hand full of nuts here or there is fine.
    Must resist urge to be inappropriate...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I certainly think that a handfull of nuts is a fine thing. Just don't go overboard with it.

[/ambiguous comment]

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Who can argue with a handfull of nuts? If you have big hands, you could go for bigger nuts.

Maybe like Brazil or something...