Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My personal trainer's advice page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

My personal trainer's advice

My personal trainer's advice is:

To train the same muscles not more than 3 times in 2 weeks
    Don't use machines but rather free weights
    Do compound workouts before you do isolation workouts since there will be certain hormones released when you do compount exercises which are helpful for your isolatiom exercises

He also said you don't have to eat often. But your body couldn't absorb more than about 60g protein at once so you should at least 2 times a day

What do you think about all this?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like good advice overall.
    I would question the need for isolation exercises if you are doing good compound lifts. You really only need them if you are a bodybuilder type. The compound exercises will build great strength and size.
    The protein absorbtion was thought to be true but there is some new evidence that shows the body can absorb more in one meal. One meal or two wont make a big diff I don't think.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Glad he told you not to use machines.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Yup, looks like pretty good advice to me.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PS if he/she encourages you to eat Primal then keep them.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

billp is offline Senior Member
    For heaven's sake Gadsie, you are only 14. You don't need to be following a training schedule. And you bloody do need to eat often. Stop validating not eating. That is a fat middle aged person thing.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    PS if he/she encourages you to eat Primal then keep them.
    You do know that will depend on where his mum decides to send him to football practise instead on that day, don't you? Such a spoilt only child, having his own trainer. Ridiculous.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Sounds right on, honestly.

Also, I don't' think it's any more "spoilt" than what many children experience these days.

For example, most of my friends in high school had:

Dance lessons
    Music lessons
    Specialized sports training above and beyond whatever was offered through the school sports
    Specialized tutoring in various subjects or in more subjects than the school provided (i.e., more language lessons, art lessons).

Most people consider this a normal part of being in high school -- that you are continuing on in your interests. And yet, having a personal trainer and an interest in weight training is maligned? When the training probably costs less than what most children get on a weekly basis anyway?

Most of my friend's children (who range in age from 9 to 18) are in several school activities PLUS then several activities of their own that costs their parents a fair bit of money. My friend's daughter is currently in university for ballet (a dual degree in dance and education). She had 12 years of ballet training at an exclusive school (costing $40 a week when the girl started and costing over $200 a week when the girl finished), which included a lot of specialized private lessons, photography and choreography for the last two years to prepare her to apply to universities with the programs that she was interested in.

The personal trainers of many young people today are helping with very real issues.

For example, some children struggle with obesity and working with a personal trainer can help them learn how to overcome obesity and create a healthy lifestyle. Other children -- such as gadsie -- have some potential disordered eating issues -- and the personal trainer can help him work through these issues and choosing a healthy lifestyle.

And some people, like me, actually enjoyed the various activities. The way to get training was from my mother, but if my mother didn't know how to train me, she could have paid a personal trainer to teach me the basic skills of what I needed to do. And, that could also have provided a mentor.

I get really frustrated, too, when people accuse a young person of being spoiled when they are doing something that they enjoy, something that is healthy and beneficial. There's nothing wrong with his parents spending their money on this way, on the son whom they love and they want to see become successful, healthy, and happy.

Just as there's nothing wrong with paying for music lessons or dance lessons or anything else of the sort. It is -- quite simply -- a process of what the parents value for their child. If you think they are spending their money wrong, complain to them.

But don't call the kids names or disparage them. The kid is doing the best he can in this life, however his parents are helping or hindering him in your opinion.

In this instance, Gadsie is a thoughtful person. He's trying to learn. And he wants something good for himself. Why do you have to be crap about it?
    Last edited by zoebird; 05-01-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    For heaven's sake Gadsie, you are only 14. You don't need to be following a training schedule. And you bloody do need to eat often. Stop validating not eating. That is a fat middle aged person thing.
    What's wrong with a training schedule? I've been training without a schedule for years with no gains

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    You do know that will depend on where his mum decides to send him to football practise instead on that day, don't you? Such a spoilt only child, having his own trainer. Ridiculous.
    lol it's 3 times 30 minutes. It came with the gym membership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast