Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My personal trainer's advice page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Sounds right on, honestly.

Also, I don't' think it's any more "spoilt" than what many children experience these days.

For example, most of my friends in high school had:

Dance lessons
    Music lessons
    Specialized sports training above and beyond whatever was offered through the school sports
    Specialized tutoring in various subjects or in more subjects than the school provided (i.e., more language lessons, art lessons).

Most people consider this a normal part of being in high school -- that you are continuing on in your interests. And yet, having a personal trainer and an interest in weight training is maligned? When the training probably costs less than what most children get on a weekly basis anyway?

Most of my friend's children (who range in age from 9 to 18) are in several school activities PLUS then several activities of their own that costs their parents a fair bit of money. My friend's daughter is currently in university for ballet (a dual degree in dance and education). She had 12 years of ballet training at an exclusive school (costing $40 a week when the girl started and costing over $200 a week when the girl finished), which included a lot of specialized private lessons, photography and choreography for the last two years to prepare her to apply to universities with the programs that she was interested in.

The personal trainers of many young people today are helping with very real issues.

For example, some children struggle with obesity and working with a personal trainer can help them learn how to overcome obesity and create a healthy lifestyle. Other children -- such as gadsie -- have some potential disordered eating issues -- and the personal trainer can help him work through these issues and choosing a healthy lifestyle.

And some people, like me, actually enjoyed the various activities. The way to get training was from my mother, but if my mother didn't know how to train me, she could have paid a personal trainer to teach me the basic skills of what I needed to do. And, that could also have provided a mentor.

I get really frustrated, too, when people accuse a young person of being spoiled when they are doing something that they enjoy, something that is healthy and beneficial. There's nothing wrong with his parents spending their money on this way, on the son whom they love and they want to see become successful, healthy, and happy.

Just as there's nothing wrong with paying for music lessons or dance lessons or anything else of the sort. It is -- quite simply -- a process of what the parents value for their child. If you think they are spending their money wrong, complain to them.

But don't call the kids names or disparage them. The kid is doing the best he can in this life, however his parents are helping or hindering him in your opinion.

In this instance, Gadsie is a thoughtful person. He's trying to learn. And he wants something good for himself. Why do you have to be crap about it?
    Thanks

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    My personal trainer's advice is:

To train the same muscles not more than 3 times in 2 weeks
    Don't use machines but rather free weights
    Do compound workouts before you do isolation workouts since there will be certain hormones released when you do compount exercises which are helpful for your isolatiom exercises

He also said you don't have to eat often. But your body couldn't absorb more than about 60g protein at once so you should at least 2 times a day

What do you think about all this?
    There is a lot of crap being shoveled in your direction but it's about par for the course regarding most personal trainer stories I hear about...

samira is offline Member
    It's not good to use the machines?? That is all I use, aside from my 5lb dumb bells. I use the lat pull down machines, the one for your back? Ate they bad?

samira is offline Member
    Also y do some of you hate on a 14 yr old kid? I've noticed him getting picked on in different threads, its just mean!

Dude, its awesome you have a trainer, you won't get injured and you'll learn the proper way to do weights. Don't let the jealous people get to you. It's good to have haters!!! That's when you know you're hot shit.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    machines have their place.

but for where gadsie is and the goals he has, a basic routine of compound movement with free weights will give him the weight/muscle that he wants.

and there's nothing wrong with having a training schedule or training in general. I have been playing sports my whole life. When i started with t-ball at age 6, where was a practice schedule. We practiced 2x week and had games on saturday mornings. When I got into soft ball, it was the same. When I got to high-school soft ball -- or any high school sport -- the training was an average of 4x a week, and sometimes 5 x a week and then the races/games.

When my mother started to teach me to lift weights, she was doing a 4x week pyramid training. This is how she trained me, but based on my own practice schedules, I would lift twice a week with a slightly different scheme.

The swim team was probably the most intensive, by training 5 days a week for several hours each practice. Enjoyable, though, and I would also still lift weights twice a week.

All of this are training programs. It's not unusual for teen agers to be on training programs.

samira is offline Member
    Zoe: Ty for your input, if it weren't for the machines I wouldn't know how to work my back or shoulders. I use the free weights to do basic tri, bicep exercises that I know.

My little sister is 16 and her generation is more structured in their free time it seems. She has guitar, ice skating, etc. So when G says he has a personal trainer it seems normal to me, whereas it wouldn't have been when I was his age. You're right he's not spoiled for having one. As you said some kids have dance lessons some a personal trainer.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    samira:

the kind of workout that you are doing -- isolation exercises -- tend to be a rather inefficient way of training unless you are trying to get a certain look for competitions.

a simple program of 6-8 movements should be fine.

squats, dead lifts, chin ups (or pull downs with a machine using a chin up grip), overhead press, bench, and row are the big 6, and then I like to add weighted crunches and side bends to it just for fun.

This works the whole system in a compound way, so you hit the shoulders, chest, back, torso/midsection, and legs completely. It's also pretty efficient. takes me about 30 minutes twice a week when i was training with weights.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Gadsie: The 60g of protein thing is absolute bullshit. Even if it isn't bullshit, it's absolutely retarded to attempt to space your food out a certain way if it isn't convenient or enjoyable for you.

zoebird: I cannot help but compliment your posts. The first one was near perfect and in the second one it was nice to learn that you played a variant of the world's greatest and purest sport (baseball, of course) as a kid.

billp: I'm sorry your parents were unable to provide "structurt" activities for you. This doesn't mean you should resent someone who has this privilege.

billp, I think I'm going to list the activities my parents provide for me.
    This summer, they are providing advanced math, science and English classes for me.
    They pay for the renting fee of an airplane as well as a flight instructor when "requirt."
    They have paid for me to play on elite travel baseball teams. That is not cheap by any means.
    They will be paying for the martial arts training which I am getting an interest in.
    They've paid for numerous other activities over the years.

I don't have more "structurt," "parent-fundt" activities than most kids. Even if I had 10x more "parent-fundt" activities, it wouldn't make me "spoilt." You become "spoilt" from having your every need taken caret of your entire life. You won't become "sploit" from having your parents pay a few bucks for a personal trainer.

You know, maybe if your parents had taken your livelihood a little more seriously you would know how to spell. They should have gotten you a tutor to help you out. Remember, "practise" makes perfect!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by steaknchop View Post
    gadsie: The 60g of protein thing is absolute bullshit. Even if it isn't bullshit, it's absolutely retarded to attempt to space your food out a certain way if it isn't convenient or enjoyable for you.

Zoebird: I cannot help but compliment your posts. The first one was near perfect and in the second one it was nice to learn that you played a variant of the world's greatest and purest sport (baseball, of course) as a kid.

Billp: I'm sorry your parents were unable to provide "structurt" activities for you. This doesn't mean you should resent someone who has this privilege.

Billp, i think i'm going to list the activities my parents provide for me.
    This summer, they are providing advanced math, science and english classes for me.
    They pay for the renting fee of an airplane as well as a flight instructor when "requirt."
    they have paid for me to play on elite travel baseball teams. That is not cheap by any means.
    They will be paying for the martial arts training which i am getting an interest in.
    They've paid for numerous other activities over the years.

I don't have more "structurt," "parent-fundt" activities than most kids. Even if i had 10x more "parent-fundt" activities, it wouldn't make me "spoilt." you become "spoilt" from having your every need taken caret of your entire life. You won't become "sploit" from having your parents pay a few bucks for a personal trainer.

You know, maybe if your parents had taken your livelihood a little more seriously you would know how to spell. They should have gotten you a tutor to help you out. Remember, "practise" makes perfect!
    ^^this^^
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12