Thread: To eat, or not to eat.... page

coach81 is offline Senior Member

To eat, or not to eat....

Shop Now
    Howdy folks... I've been a primal follower now for about 2 years... I hope to continue to learn about fitness and the primal lifestyle for many years to come...

I truly believe I have "reprogrammed" my genes with this lifestyle, I believe according to my genetics, heredity, and metabolism I am supposed to be "fat". My father has always struggled with it, as has my brother and several other members of my family. I am happy with where I am health/fitness wise, but I'm always looking for improvement.

Which brings me to something I've been wondering about over the last few days...

Back in 2010 I was able to get down to my lowest adult body weight ever... 179.. I did this by going about 95% primal.. eating, workouts, etc... but as I revisited my primal diary.. I was eating 3 times a day for a good while.. then began eating a bit less and less.... which has led me to where I am today... I am currently about 190 and resonably fit ( I continue to workout almost every day, and I eat pretty clean about 75-80% of the time)... but I would like to get back to the low 180s or maybe the 170s if possible...

The question you have is.. "why did you go back to 190 when you were 179?" - the answer is... yes.. you guessed it.. I "relaxed on my carb intake"... and as I have said... my body quickly gained some fat back..

Now that I'm trying to get really lean again, I'm wondering if I'm possibly hurting myself with the less meals that I am eating???

A typical day is.. no food until about 2:30 pm.. then I will try to eat mostly meat and cheese.. not much.. but some.. then around 6pm I will eat meat and a bit of fruit and veggies.

In 2010 for a while I was eating 3 meals a day... breakfast, lunch, and supper- all about 95% primal-.... and was still able to drop weight consistently...

Just wondering if I should perhaps go back to eating 3 meals a day to help "keep the fire burning -CW" or just continue to eat as I am.. just go really strict with the primal eating.

As always your input and suggestions are welcomed.

Bultar

Voyageur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach81 View Post
    "why did you go back to 190 when you were 179?" - the answer is... yes.. you guessed it.. I "relaxed on my carb intake"...
    Naw, my guess was that "you relaxed on your calorie intake".

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    My body was stuck at about 190 for a long time. I'm 5'9" and I looked chubby! I had muscle, but clearly a small spare tire, too. Now I'm down to about 175 and packing on the muscle. The MOST significant thing I did that broke that last plateau was increasing my protein to about a pound a day. Yes, I also cycle through low-carb/high-fat periods and higher-carb/moderate-fat periods based on exercise intensity and what feels natural, but everything changed when I bumped up my protein. I also eat one huge meal a day (before my night shift) on my 8-day work week, sometimes coconut milk for the medium chain triglyceride rush in the morning for the busy time. So I spend a lot of time fasted! I feel those two are the most important factors - high protein and lots of time fasted every day.

Other things I feel have helped immensely, to keep my energy up and me feeling strong:
    Staying high-fat most days, and getting plenty of organ meat (heart and liver, and tallow). Basically, try to eat the whole animal as much as possible! And, yes, fresh wild greens and cooked organic veggies, mushrooms, eggs, the whole menu - but focusing the dollar on high-quality protein.

Eating seafood regularly, at least twice a week for iodine, and to get the whole animal. Small, canned fish are a great way to eat brain and eyes without to much yuck factor. Oysters work, too!

Sprinting, climbing things and lifting heavy, and walking many hours a day.

I don't eat dairy, nuts or sweet fruit on a regular basis. I was a sugar bug too long and it gets me craving candy. Nuts, once a week. Dairy, rarely. My fruits are granny smith apples, berries, avocado, foraged food in the forest or apples from local trees, etc. These do not seem to trigger cravings. Dark chocolate is still a good friend, I just get the darkest I can!

Oh, oh! Coffee and tea (make you own from wild herbs!) go a long way in keeping the hand and mouth occupied when you're just biding time and doing nothing.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Read The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmeckler. It sounds like you need a shift in your cycle, maybe from meals to intermittent fasting. You could try the advanced version of Warrior which is 3 higher calorie days followed by 3 low cal days. I do this & on the low cal days I eat no carbs. Might help or at least help you fine tune.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Agree also with high fat recommendation, great to do on low/no carb days.

Quote Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
    naw, my guess was that "you relaxed on your calorie intake".

guilty!!!!

Thanks for the info... so no one thinks I should try the "three meals a day" route?

Voyageur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach81 View Post
    guilty!!!!

Thanks for the info... so no one thinks I should try the "three meals a day" route?
    If three meals a day will keep you at 95% primal again instead of your current 75-80%.... then absolutely.

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    My body was stuck at about 190 for a long time. I'm 5'9" and I looked chubby! I had muscle, but clearly a small spare tire, too. Now I'm down to about 175 and packing on the muscle. The MOST significant thing I did that broke that last plateau was increasing my protein to about a pound a day. Yes, I also cycle through low-carb/high-fat periods and higher-carb/moderate-fat periods based on exercise intensity and what feels natural, but everything changed when I bumped up my protein. I also eat one huge meal a day (before my night shift) on my 8-day work week, sometimes coconut milk for the medium chain triglyceride rush in the morning for the busy time. So I spend a lot of time fasted! I feel those two are the most important factors - high protein and lots of time fasted every day.

Other things I feel have helped immensely, to keep my energy up and me feeling strong:
    Staying high-fat most days, and getting plenty of organ meat (heart and liver, and tallow). Basically, try to eat the whole animal as much as possible! And, yes, fresh wild greens and cooked organic veggies, mushrooms, eggs, the whole menu - but focusing the dollar on high-quality protein.

Eating seafood regularly, at least twice a week for iodine, and to get the whole animal. Small, canned fish are a great way to eat brain and eyes without to much yuck factor. Oysters work, too!

Sprinting, climbing things and lifting heavy, and walking many hours a day.

I don't eat dairy, nuts or sweet fruit on a regular basis. I was a sugar bug too long and it gets me craving candy. Nuts, once a week. Dairy, rarely. My fruits are granny smith apples, berries, avocado, foraged food in the forest or apples from local trees, etc. These do not seem to trigger cravings. Dark chocolate is still a good friend, I just get the darkest I can!

Oh, oh! Coffee and tea (make you own from wild herbs!) go a long way in keeping the hand and mouth occupied when you're just biding time and doing nothing.
    Thanks, for laying this out.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Thanks knife, and Voyageur. As of this morning I broke back into the 180s!!! Thanks for the info, forward we go!!!