Thread: Long Distance Cycling Trip page

ChaiKe is offline Junior Member

Long Distance Cycling Trip

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of doing a cycling trip across SE Asia and China, maybe lasting 2 months.

I've done some stuff like this before, but this is my first time since going primal/ low-carb, so I was just wondering if anyone had experience doing a long-distance cycling trip on a primal style diet.

My current plan is just to take it as it goes, get as many good fats as I can find, but concentrate on bananas and rice for energy. I thought about doing it 'keto-adapted', but I think it would be too hard to get hold of enough good fat sources, and, while travelling, eating low carb is just too damned anti-social!

At the moment, I'm eating 'primally' (will I ever be able to say that word without inverted commas?!) low carb (60-100g a day, although I don't count), no grains or tubers, some fruit and yoghurt, but I'll inevitably be switching to a 'traveller's diet' of 'whatever looks edible'.

Any advice for the transition? Anyone done anything like this before? Any tips for not losing all of my muscle mass on the trip? (Not much here to start with, admittedly!)

Thanks!

ChaiKe is offline Junior Member
    No replies?

I couldn't find anything else about this on the forums, I'm sure theres a debate somewhere about how 'primal' cycling is, especially the long distance kind that seems a lot like 'chronic cardio'.

Is Long- Distance cycling (60-120km every day for a few months) chronic cardio?

It is lots of cardio, mid-intensity, but at the same time, you get a fantastic feel for the natural world, live on the move like our ancestors would have done, keep moving around (fairly) slowly and fit in some sprinting (and its an amazing experience all round).

All other threads on cycling seem to be about how to train for a race, rather than a long-distance travelling,
    so I'd like some ideas!

What's the primal consensus on that kind of cycling!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaiKe View Post
    No replies?

I couldn't find anything else about this on the forums, I'm sure theres a debate somewhere about how 'primal' cycling is, especially the long distance kind that seems a lot like 'chronic cardio'.

Is Long- Distance cycling (60-120km every day for a few months) chronic cardio?

It is lots of cardio, mid-intensity, but at the same time, you get a fantastic feel for the natural world, live on the move like our ancestors would have done, keep moving around (fairly) slowly and fit in some sprinting (and its an amazing experience all round).

All other threads on cycling seem to be about how to train for a race, rather than a long-distance travelling,
    so I'd like some ideas!

What's the primal consensus on that kind of cycling!
    What an awesome trip! I think It could be done in a way that it wouldn't be. I wouldn't stress or be bothered with that. Too great of an adventure to let it be a concern. Just be intuitive about it and don't slay yourself with too many hard effort bike sessions. If you blog about the trip please post a link. I'd love to follow your experience.
    Last edited by pace2race; 05-05-2012 at 06:34 AM.