Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get enough iron? page 3

gumboots is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think I'll go back to the pharmacist tomorrow and see if she can give me this less awful kind!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I echo the comments about iron supplements. I took an iron supplement a few months back and it gave me serious diarrhea. Which I'll admit is preferable to vomiting... however, I still prefer to avoid that, thanks.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumboots View Post
    How is it possible for an adult *woman* to eat enough iron through food? Any tricks or tips?
    Cook and eat out of a cast iron skillet.

I'm hoping this will be a one-time thing -- get the levels up and then keep them there with a happy healed gut and plenty of hearts and livers! A month of trying to eat iron didn't raise my levels at all, so I'm hoping that I can do better on my own once I've gotten it straightened out. (That is, if the supplements work, and without too many side-effects!)

Also, in a few months I'll be moving back to California where my beloved cast iron pan is waiting. Maybe the whole deficiency was caused by living without it for a year. Certainly felt like something was missing from my life!

treborix is offline Junior Member
    even when I was vegetarian I never had any problems absorbing enough iron (doctors always seemed happy enough). I tried to eat green leafy veg every day, plus a good general mix of veg. I didn't drink any tea or coffee. Doesn't help if there's a medical reason that you're not absorbing the iron, but it's worth looking at whether you're having anything that might block it. I remember something about dairy interfering with the absorption of some nutrients and iron might be one of them. I don't know if you do dairy though.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    How does dairy interfere with absorption of some nutrients?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, my intestines are a bit messed up, still trying to figure out why -- definitely fructose malabsorption, although that doesn't itself cause intestinal damage (although it can sometimes start as the result of it). I have trouble with most grains because of the fructans, but only when I gave them up 100% (rather than eating "just a little") did I start feeling much better overall (sleep, energy, mood, back pain, headaches, digestion). I'll see the gastro tomorrow about doing the run of tests for gluten and celiac, because it would be good to know how hardcore I'll need to be to heal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123