Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get enough iron? page 2

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Beef heart is what finally got me to 100% (and sometimes over) on Fitday. Because it doesn't have the vitamin A mega-dose that liver has, I can eat a lot of it. I usually eat about 3-6 oz a day through beef heart jerky (we make it in the dehydrator), beef heart cooked like a steak, and beef heart in my soup. It's delicious, cheep, and gives me my iron.

We buy the beef heart from a local farmer that doesn't have a use for it when he butchers (and sells) his cows. So, we get grass-fed beef heart at $2.50/pound. It is my new best friend!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Beef heart is what finally got me to 100% (and sometimes over) on Fitday. Because it doesn't have the vitamin A mega-dose that liver has, I can eat a lot of it. I usually eat about 3-6 oz a day through beef heart jerky (we make it in the dehydrator), beef heart cooked like a steak, and beef heart in my soup. It's delicious, cheep, and gives me my iron.

We buy the beef heart from a local farmer that doesn't have a use for it when he butchers (and sells) his cows. So, we get grass-fed beef heart at $2.50/pound. It is my new best friend!
    I eat a lot of beef heart as well, LOVE beef heart for breakfast with a easy egg for "sauce"...
    And eat a moderate amount of chicken livers to avoid over doing the A.

I actually love that I "need" to eat the clams though. Especially fresh!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I probably should have explained--I think the medical term is photopsia, basically when I lift my arms above my head (particularly in the shower) or stand up really fast, I see flashes of light. This seems to only happen to me when I'm anemic, so I group it with that.

I did a little googling and it seems that the type of iron used in that is Ferrous Sulfate. It's a common prescription iron, but unfortunately more known for constipation than for absorption. :/ Another form to look for in addition to heme iron is Ferronyl or carbonyl iron. I'm not sure if it's a common drugstore brand in Germany, but here it can be found as Feosol. It's not as awesome as heme, but still much better absorbed than Ferrous Sulfate.

The Ferrous Sulfate pills have another lovely, and very common, side effect... nausea. Vomiting yay! NOT!
    Gimme teh foods.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

gumboots is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Lol, I probably should have explained--I think the medical term is photopsia, basically when I lift my arms above my head (particularly in the shower) or stand up really fast, I see flashes of light. This seems to only happen to me when I'm anemic, so I group it with that.
    Oh that's what that's called. The sparkles...the eye migraines...this all is starting to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    It's a common prescription iron, but unfortunately more known for constipation than for absorption. :/
    Yes. I was starting to wonder what was up, since I finally felt like I was completing some excellent 'primal movements' after the transition a month ago, then suddenly...nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The Ferrous Sulfate pills have another lovely, and very common, side effect... nausea.
    I am feeling slightly queasy in my throat yet ravenously hungry (no vomiting, though). Did you feel something similar?

Should I go try to look for heme iron/ferronyl/carbonyl at this point, or wait and see if I'll adapt? Three months of ravenous hunger + no poo could be a dangerous combination.

For me... the nausea included vomiting and whatever stayed down needed another pill (laxative) to help it exit. Miserable.
    YMMV of course.
    A lot of people don't do well with the pills though from my understanding, but some tolerate them OK.
    I didn't stick with pills for long. I threw myself at high heme food sources and have been happy since and had normal iron tests.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    For me... the nausea included vomiting and whatever stayed down needed another pill (laxative) to help it exit. Miserable.
    YMMV of course.
    A lot of people don't do well with the pills though from my understanding, but some tolerate them OK.
    I didn't stick with pills for long. I threw myself at high heme food sources and have been happy since and had normal iron tests.
    Thanks! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, especially with no more nausea. I'll give the pills a couple of weeks and then make a decision.

Thanks for your advice and tips, everyone!

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumboots View Post
    I am feeling slightly queasy in my throat yet ravenously hungry (no vomiting, though). Did you feel something similar?

Should I go try to look for heme iron/ferronyl/carbonyl at this point, or wait and see if I'll adapt? Three months of ravenous hunger + no poo could be a dangerous combination.
    I don't know your lab values, or what your malabsorption issues are, but I recommend the more absorbable and less digestively distressing supplements. I've taken Ferrous Sulfate before and it was no fun having to take laxatives on top of that nasty tasting pill.

Personally, I simply cannot keep my iron levels normal on food alone. I had a gastric bypass 7 years ago, and while I can eat fairly normal portions now, I just can't seem to get the iron I need. I did okay with daily ferronyl/carbonyl iron for 3 years, but then I became anemic during pregnancy 4 years ago and have yet to really get back to maintaining good iron levels since then. I do a 3 month run on Proferrin (heme), get good labs, and then maintain on Bifera for a while, but eventually the symptoms come back and I'm low again.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Another way to get more iron in your diet is to cook in cast iron cookware. I'll also second the notion that supplemental iron pills from the doc are no good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast